Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Customs Officer

Robynlooking

Smile Customs Officer

My GGG Grandfather Peter Sterling 1803 Devon to 6/4/1867 Bexley Heath Dartford was a superannuated officer of HM Customs of the Port of London. I'm trying to find out further information on his career etc. His wife was Elizabeth Johnson Sterling nee Isworth. Peter's death cert. lists him as StArling?

Reputation beyond repute

The message is headed 'Coastguards' but the body of the message says "Customs'. Which are we talking about?

I'm guessing Customs in which case this research guide explains the records that are available:

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...sLeafletID=234

You would have to engage someone to search the National Archives records in person on your behalf.

Robynlooking

Smile coastguards

Hi Peter

On his son William's Death cert Peter was listed as an Officer with HM Customs and I was told by an OPC that this meant he was a coastguard. On his Death Cert his occ. was Superannuated officer of HM Customs. What exactly would an 'officer' be? Thanks Robyn

Reputation beyond repute

That OPC needs a good slap. Your ancestor was a Customs Officer, not a coastguard

A "Superannuated Officer of HM Customs" is a retired Customs Officer in receipt of a pension.

Does that answer the question? If not, just shout. I've been ploughing through Customs records today so I'm in the mood

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Your ancestor was a Customs Officer, not a coastguard.
    I have edited the title of this thread from Coastguards to Customs Officer. If you would like me to change it back I am happy to do so but I think it would be better to have the correct occupation in the title as I believe they are quite different.

Robynlooking

Smile Custom Officer

Thanks for your help guys. Do you know whether there is an alternative way to find information on Customs officers apart from the National Archives? It's a long way from Australia! I know you can pay someone to do the searching for you which I'm quite happy to do but I thought there may be an index available elsewhere?

Reputation beyond repute

I'm afraid there isn't even a comprehensive index available on paper . "Ham's Customs Year Book" is a bit of a help as an index - the National Archives has a run starting 1875 (is that too late for your man?) - I don't know when publication actually started. Copies turn up in other libraries. I can't think of anything online that might help. Sorry.

hughar

The national museum of HM Revenue & Customs is now part of the Merseyside Maritime Museum. See https://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/m...ctions/seized/ and select 'research'. They have an information sheet on 'Tracing Your Ancestors Who Were In The HM Customs and Excise Department' which confirms that any surviving staff records are held at TNA.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Customs Officer

Robyn,

In one of your posts, you asked what the word "Officer" meant, for a Customs Officer. It really just means a member of the Customs & Excise Service. In the UK we would call the person who checks your bags for prohibited/restricted items after an international flight a "Customs Officer". (The word officer doesn't have any military or superior rank significance).

Elwyn

Robynlooking

Smile Customs Officer

Hi Elwyn

Thanks for your reply. Sounds about the same as in Australia at present. In relation to the year when Peter would have been employed i.e betw. abt 1820 - 1867 do you know whether the same job description would apply and would his job have required him to move around the district?

Thanks Robyn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast