Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Pegasus

I have (over many Years) had mixed responce from FHSs.

When I was a member of one, I did a copy of my Transcription of All recorded (1837 to 1911) BDMs for my Main Line (@18 A4 Pages), I sent it to them & didnt even get an acknowledgement.

Most of my other contacts with FHSs & Websites (such as FreeBDM, freindsreunited, genesreunited & etc) has been totally the other end of the spectrum.

I have sent corrections to freeBDM on numerous occasions , always getting a 'thankyou' reply within days.

thewideeyedowl

Default Joining an FHS as an electronic member

Much of this interesting discussion focuses on attending meetings or visiting premises, but the internet has opened up a new channel of membership - electronic. A Society's publications, e.g. quarterly magazine, are distributed via an email link to a secure area of the society's website. Some parts of a society's website might be reserved for members only, and a member can contact others who have the same research interests. These are huge advantages if you live at a considerable distance. I have certainly gained a great deal from my electronic membership of IWFHS.

Electronic membership also means that you are not disadvantaged from joining/participating if you have mobility or hearing problems. (I have been profoundly deaf for over 30 years and simply cannot follow talks/conversation - that's why I depend on my big wide eyes.)

And of course there can be a further advantage too - a reduced subscription. So, I'd say to anyone who needs help/resources for their own research consider joining an FHS as an electronic member.

Wideeyed Owl

Koops

I am a member of Canterbury Branch of Kent FHS work commitments often get in the way of meetings however, I enjoy the journal and the trips to Kew and attend talks when I can there are some folks there I would not want to spend my dying moments with and others can be fun I think its the same in every crowd.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567