Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fidgetsmum

Default I'd love to join an FHS but ....

I'm not going to 'name names', but some 4 years ago I went along as a guest to an FHS meeting with a view to joining and, apart from an extremely interesting and informative talk, I can honestly say it was one of the most unpleasant evenings I've spent.

Three people actually managed to speak to me, one was extremely pleasant and welcoming, eager to find out what stage I was at and we quickly established a common interest in a particular location. Of the other two, one completely lost interest when it became apparent that I didn't have certificates or copies of authenticated documents tracing my family back to the Anglo Saxons and the third, after saying hello and a brief conversation, turned to his friend and, as they walked away, said 'Oh great! Another one who doesn't know anything about anything.'

Needless to say when later, the Membership Secretary handed me a form and asked for £15, I graciously declined and haven't had the nerve to go back again.

Please tell me they're not all the same and, is it really worth joining when I won't be able to attend the meetings and thus not have the pleasure of listening to the expert talks?

In every Family history Society there are members who are there to learn and to share and there are members who have joined for the express purpose of getting everything they can for the least amount of money and then bu******g off to plunder somewhere else.

Fortunately most societies only have a few plunderers. Most members want to learn more about the area their ancestors lived and what those lives were like. These members also want everyone else to share their enthusiasm for family history. I would have written a short note to the secretary of that society explaining why you didn't join. It might have given them a reason why their membership numbers are falling LOL.
    It is unfortunate that you had to meet a couple of plunderers - they might also have been the class show offs too, not pretty!
    I always recommend that people join the society close to where they live, even if they don't have ancestors in that area because the talks are usually informative and it is always possible to learn something.
    Most societies are friendly, just one or two members forget that they were new to the society once upon a time.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Peter_uk_can

A few weeks back I went to Winnipeg's main library and plundered a huge amount of information. Not content with one raid, I later visited the museum and came away with a wealth of free info.

Free to me, but put together at a huge cost by people with slightly more foresight.

No apologies for putting folks noses out of joint but I am fed up of hearing the bleatings of FH Societies.

Anyone interested in our own genealogy, collected over hundred's of hours, maybe thousands and at a cost of which I care little ?

It can been all seen for free at

www.members.shaw.ca/psmail

v.wells

Your site is still as fabulous and I was even more amazed in the amount of history and information you have accumulated and is as factual/true as can possibly be. I have seen your site before but this time I went a little deeper. You should be very proud.

SBSFamilyhistory

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_uk_can View Post
    A few weeks back I went to Winnipeg's main library and plundered a huge amount of information. Not content with one raid, I later visited the museum and came away with a wealth of free info.

Free to me, but put together at a huge cost by people with slightly more foresight.

No apologies for putting folks noses out of joint but I am fed up of hearing the bleatings of FH Societies.

Anyone interested in our own genealogy, collected over hundred's of hours, maybe thousands and at a cost of which I care little ?

It can been all seen for free at

www.members.shaw.ca/psmail
    Sorry I didn't know that you were in Winnipeg. I have a distant relation who lives there. he is a retired college principal, Donald McKinnion. Sue,,

ash33au

I was actually given a holiday by our State Library in 1995 after I had the audacity to complain. I found that the old people pushed me out of the way a lot and made comments about me not belonging in the Genie room because I was young (20yo) and had no right to be researching my ancestry. I also found that i would wait at the help desk forever without being served, yet an old person would walk right up, push past me and get served. When I left a complaint notice in the suggestion box, I got an abusive phone call and a 3 month holiday. That was back in the microfiche days and it was a small little room.

Now it's much bigger and a lot more accessible. I've found the staff there are great - particulalrly the male staff who go out of their way to help me. I've also found 50/50 spread of friendly helpful researchers and those who still don't think I belong there - especially as I almost always take my 2yo son in his pram. Someone actually made the comment that he shouldn't be there to which I replied "It's his family I'm researching..." which actually hit the spot because a few other fellows congratulated me on taking an interest in my family history and for standing my ground.

The PRO is also a favourite place of mine these days. The staff are excellent and help out no matter what. One lady offered to show me some easier ways to do broader searches and offered to go through a microfilm for me whilst I was looking at the computer.

HOWEVER the best place I have found in all my years of researching is this very forum
    Christine, Doug and Michael are always quick to help out - particularly Christine who has nearly all the answers that I'm looking for.

A fountain of knowledge

ash33au, at the risk of getting told off.....I would hope that if you take a child into a research area it is quiet.
    Researching and thinking is hard enough with the general background noise without being disturbed by a child that is bored or fellow researchers chatting about their weekend.
    We are tolerent of our own children but not others. Perhaps you need to look from their perspective.
    Yes I am a parent and hopefully always considered others right to enjoy the enviroment eg. restaurants cafe's etc.
    I also go out of my way to help others, young or old.

Jade26

Quote Originally Posted by ash33au View Post
    .......Now it's much bigger and a lot more accessible. I've found the staff there are great - particulalrly the male staff who go out of their way to help me. I've also found 50/50 spread of friendly helpful researchers and those who still don't think I belong there - especially as I almost always take my 2yo son in his pram. Someone actually made the comment that he shouldn't be there to which I replied "It's his family I'm researching..." which actually hit the spot because a few other fellows congratulated me on taking an interest in my family history and for standing my ground.....
    Ash, I've only been to our State Library genealogical section once and that was about two years ago. When I arrived there was only one rather curt staff member on duty who disappeared immediately after showing me to a computer that wasn't working.

I waited at the help desk for over half an hour, but it remained unattended, so I ended up wandering around until I found the microfiche drawers and a vacant reader. The moment I opened one of the drawers and started searching for a particular fiche an old fellow (about my age) obviously wanting to access the same drawer came up and stood behind me tut-tutting and tapping his foot.

Considering I had driven over three hundred kilometres just to visit the State Library it was a very disappointing and intimidating experience. I have now given myself a permanent voluntary holiday from that particular venue.

As for some of us oldies frowning upon young people researching their family history, what on earth makes them tick? We should be encouraging not discouraging the young 'uns. Keep on taking your two year old son with you. Three of my grand sons aged 11 and 9 are keenly interested in their family history and that's because I have been talking to them about it since they were toddlers.

Trish.

v.wells

"Needless to say when later, the Membership Secretary handed me a form and asked for £15, I graciously declined and haven't had the nerve to go back again.

Please tell me they're not all the same and, is it really worth joining when I won't be able to attend the meetings and thus not have the pleasure of listening to the expert talks?"

Fidgetsmum

I would have to join 3 or 4 FHS and as they all want money I can't do it, especially when I am in Canada and would be unable to attend meetings. Yes they need money to operate and it helps generate grants for developing larger things.

There is always a few rude people in every group, but I think the benefits outweigh that if you live close by and will take away new insights into researching should you attend.

And my rule is "if you don't like the way you are treated, don't be a doormat"! Just my opinion.

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Fidgetsmum View Post
    I graciously declined
    I think you were quite right. If it's not going to be a sociable occasion, what's the point? You can learn from books or online sources what you might pick up from talks. It's just more fun if you're learning with friends.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast