+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    Starting to feel at home
    Thanks

I have (over many Years) had mixed responce from FHSs.

When I was a member of one, I did a copy of my Transcription of All recorded (1837 to 1911) BDMs for my Main Line (@18 A4 Pages), I sent it to them & didnt even get an acknowledgement.

Most of my other contacts with FHSs & Websites (such as FreeBDM, freindsreunited, genesreunited & etc) has been totally the other end of the spectrum.

I have sent corrections to freeBDM on numerous occasions , always getting a 'thankyou' reply within days.

Knowledgeable and helpful thewideeyedowl's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Joining an FHS as an electronic member

Much of this interesting discussion focuses on attending meetings or visiting premises, but the internet has opened up a new channel of membership - electronic. A Society's publications, e.g. quarterly magazine, are distributed via an email link to a secure area of the society's website. Some parts of a society's website might be reserved for members only, and a member can contact others who have the same research interests. These are huge advantages if you live at a considerable distance. I have certainly gained a great deal from my electronic membership of IWFHS.

Electronic membership also means that you are not disadvantaged from joining/participating if you have mobility or hearing problems. (I have been profoundly deaf for over 30 years and simply cannot follow talks/conversation - that's why I depend on my big wide eyes.)

And of course there can be a further advantage too - a reduced subscription. So, I'd say to anyone who needs help/resources for their own research consider joining an FHS as an electronic member.

Wideeyed Owl

Starting to feel at home
    Thanks

I am a member of Canterbury Branch of Kent FHS work commitments often get in the way of meetings however, I enjoy the journal and the trips to Kew and attend talks when I can there are some folks there I would not want to spend my dying moments with and others can be fun I think its the same in every crowd.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7