Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    A fountain of knowledge

ash33au, at the risk of getting told off.....I would hope that if you take a child into a research area it is quiet.
    Researching and thinking is hard enough with the general background noise without being disturbed by a child that is bored or fellow researchers chatting about their weekend.
    We are tolerent of our own children but not others. Perhaps you need to look from their perspective.
    Yes I am a parent and hopefully always considered others right to enjoy the enviroment eg. restaurants cafe's etc.
    I also go out of my way to help others, young or old.

ash33au

He's surprisingly quiet Chisel. Has been going to the library with me all his life and knows what to do

A fountain of knowledge

Then nobody has anything to complain about
    I'll also add then we have all been newbies at some stage so tolerance to those starting out is a given

ash33au

I actually had a good time there today in between the crashing and freezing computers, had some good conversations with fellow researchers.

duke eddie

Smile I am glad to I am not the only one

I am from the states, and I have had a very hard time getting someone to help me with my research also from a FHS. Once they heard that I was tring to go by a family story, and that I was tring to find out how to go about finding the things needed to prove or disprove the story, and they all of a sudden was not interested in helping, or would refer me to someone else. I am on a limited budget and obviously I am not in the uk, and would need help getting the documentation that I need.

I have ran into the same thing in the states also. They will take down your information then call a few days later and say that they were not able to find anything, or they would say that it was something that I would have to hire a researcher for. Lazy just plain lazy, these people are.

Does anyone know any good ones out there that will help, I would really be greatful for the tips. Thank you

aland

Welcome to the forum duke eddie, why not try posting the names and areas of research on the relevant boards, there are plenty of knowledgeable people and all levels of experience here, good luck.

Aland

NFurniss

Default Transcribing for Free

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    You can get involved in transcription without joining an FHS. For example FreeBMD, FreeReg, FreeCen and have the added warm glow of knowing that the fruits of your labours are going to be made available totally free of charge.

I had better not raise the attitude of certain FHS towards thse sorts of projects.
    OK! I shall. And I aim my remarks not just at one FHS but at the grand daddy of them all.

I did several thousand transcriptions for the Berkshire Society thinking that the results would be freely available at no cost. Imagine my surprise when at the end of the project, I was charged £5 for vouchers to have a three day slot to look up at most ten pages of the stuff I had transposed gratis. I have not renewed my subscription to any of the four societies I was earlier supporting. Societies should not be run as commercial enterprises. That also applies to other charities. The salaried staff take them over and feather their own nests.

Jade26

Quote Originally Posted by ash33au View Post
    .......Now it's much bigger and a lot more accessible. I've found the staff there are great - particulalrly the male staff who go out of their way to help me. I've also found 50/50 spread of friendly helpful researchers and those who still don't think I belong there - especially as I almost always take my 2yo son in his pram. Someone actually made the comment that he shouldn't be there to which I replied "It's his family I'm researching..." which actually hit the spot because a few other fellows congratulated me on taking an interest in my family history and for standing my ground.....
    Ash, I've only been to our State Library genealogical section once and that was about two years ago. When I arrived there was only one rather curt staff member on duty who disappeared immediately after showing me to a computer that wasn't working.

I waited at the help desk for over half an hour, but it remained unattended, so I ended up wandering around until I found the microfiche drawers and a vacant reader. The moment I opened one of the drawers and started searching for a particular fiche an old fellow (about my age) obviously wanting to access the same drawer came up and stood behind me tut-tutting and tapping his foot.

Considering I had driven over three hundred kilometres just to visit the State Library it was a very disappointing and intimidating experience. I have now given myself a permanent voluntary holiday from that particular venue.

As for some of us oldies frowning upon young people researching their family history, what on earth makes them tick? We should be encouraging not discouraging the young 'uns. Keep on taking your two year old son with you. Three of my grand sons aged 11 and 9 are keenly interested in their family history and that's because I have been talking to them about it since they were toddlers.

Trish.

Jade26

Quote Originally Posted by Fidgetsmum View Post
    ... Please tell me they're not all the same and, is it really worth joining when I won't be able to attend the meetings and thus not have the pleasure of listening to the expert talks?
    No Fidgetsmum they are not all the same, but in my experience some of them, especially in the smaller towns, are a bit of a "closed shop" with the same old members attending for years and very little new blood coming in.

Many years ago when I was just starting out, I decided to join the local FHS. The few members I managed to strike up a conversation with were not interested as soon as they realised that I was a newcomer to town with no family roots in the area. I stuck it out for a few more months until I realised that I had nothing of interest to offer them, nor they for me.

Soon after that I became a member of the State Family History Society in our capital city. Because I live over 300 kilometres away, I couldn't attend meetings but every now and then I was able to make the drive to use their very extensive library. Every quarter I received their magazine which was packed full of hints, wonderful articles by experts and members queries. It was through one of these queries that I got my first viable lead on my father's family in Scotland.

So yes it is worth joining a FHS. However nowadays this forum is my FHS. The members are friendly and I have never posted a query that has not had a response. I don't have to travel long distances anymore and there is such a wealth of knowledge amongst the forum members that I can get answers on almost any subject, and the "Funny Side of Life" usually provides me with a good laugh to start each day.

Cheers - Trish

MarkJ

Quote Originally Posted by NFurniss View Post
    OK! I shall. And I aim my remarks not just at one FHS but at the grand daddy of them all.

I did several thousand transcriptions for the Berkshire Society thinking that the results would be freely available at no cost. Imagine my surprise when at the end of the project, I was charged £5 for vouchers to have a three day slot to look up at most ten pages of the stuff I had transposed gratis. I have not renewed my subscription to any of the four societies I was earlier supporting. Societies should not be run as commercial enterprises. That also applies to other charities. The salaried staff take them over and feather their own nests.
    Were these transcriptions from something of yours, or using something provided by the FHS in question?
    If your own stuff, why not simply place them online yourself?

Like you, I have had issues with a FHS becoming a commercial outfit. Some stuff I donated was still held by a FHS when they decided to sign up with a commercial outfit - but we were given the option to remove our data if we disagreed - and I did.
    I now place all transcriptions I make under a Creative Commons licence. I specifically choose to use a licence which permits free use as long as it is non-commercial and ideally, anyone using the transcripts is supposed to acknowledge where they got it from. This prevents anyone from profiting from the transcripts - i.e they can't be added to a cd for example without my express permission (and nobody has asked as yet - and it is unlikely I would give permission for commercial use).

Mark

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast