ianmal

Question Frederick Hope Pattison STIRLING and Frederick Hope PATTISON of Mountblow

My grandfather, Frederick Hope Pattison STIRLING was named after Lieutenant Frederick Hope PATTISON, a veteran of Waterloo and Quatre Bras. The veteran lived the later part of his life in the ‘old’ DUNN house called Mountblow near Old Kilpatrick and wrote his recollections of the battle of Waterloo in a series of letters to his grandchildren, first published in 1873, just two years before he died in Mountblow.

My grandfather’s mother was Martha HART who’s parents originated from Old or New Kilpatrick but I do not know of any connection between the HART and PATTISON families. My grandfather’s father, Robert STIRLING was adopted. His adopted parents had Old Kilpatrick connections. I believe his adopted mother, Mary ABERCROMBIE may have been a servant at Mountblow (see separate posting for more details of my direct family’s Dunbartonshire connections).

In order to try and establish why my Grandfather should be named after this person I have researched the PATTISON family. This has turned out to be an interesting family. Frederick’s father, John was born in Paisley, Renfrewshire in 1747 and married Hope Margaret MONCRIEFF in Paisley in 1781. John became a successful merchant and owned Kelvingrove House in Glasgow between 1792 & 1806. John’s brother, Alexander, attained modest renown as a friend of the Scottish poet, Robert Burns, whom he housed when Burns came to Paisley. He also helped promote his ‘1st Edition’ in Edinburgh.

John & Hope Margaret had at least 9 children, one of them being my grandfather’s namesake. Frederick Hope PATTISON married Janet PARK in Glasgow in 1826. They had at least 5 children. Janet’s parents were George PARK & Sarah DUNN (possibly connected to the DUNNs of Mountblow?). Most of the PATTISONs achieved notoriety in one way or another. Frederick’s brother, Granville Sharp PATTISON, was an Anatomist in Glasgow, London and the USA (Philadelphia). He was never far from controversy, as described in his biography, “Granville Sharp Pattison – Anatomist and Antagonist 1791-1851” by a descendant, F.L.M. Pattison, published by Canongate.

Please contact me if you have any more information on this infamous PATTISON family. Maybe one day I will discover why my Grandfather should be so named.

Ian Stirling Malcolmson

joette

Smile mountblow pattison

I just wanted to say that I was born in my grandparents house in Mountblow.
    The old estate was sold off & much needed housing erected.
    I always understood it was part of the Erskine estate.I have seen old photos of the long demolished gate house of the estate.
    As a former local girl can I point out that Old Kilpatrick is a village & New Kilpatrick a no longer exsisting area& they are apart in geographical terms also. My family have close connections with both areas.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

My maternal Grandfather was Richard Phillipson Dunn-Pattison (b. ?//?1874. He was killed in action in Iraq (8/3/1916) during the Great War. {I believe he had a brother, Frederick Hope Dunn-Pattison (b. 3/2/1873). He may have had other brothers and sisters}. Richard was at some time in the 91st Aryllshire Regiment and lived at Kilbowie House, Oban. He ahad two daughters by Marriage. Are any of these people connected to you ancestors?

Regards

Alexander Henderson
    E-mail: panda.henderson {at} btinternet.com
    Last edited by Lesley Robertson; 03-09-2014 at 12:39 PM. Reason: live email address broken

Alexander Dun Pattison mar Minnie Katherine Phillipson 1872 Somerset
    They had:
    Frederick Hope DP 3.2.1873 Edinburgh
    Richard Philipson DP 22.12.1874 Edinburgh
    Richard P DP abt 1875 Edinburgh
    Janet P DP abt 1876 Edinburgh.

The odd thing, is that I can't find Alexander, Frederick or Robert in any census, and they're not on the English or Scottish death certs between 1876-1881. In 1881 Minnie's an advocate's wife, back in Somerset, in 1901 she's a widow. Always a lodger.

Richard & Janet are there with Minnie (1891 Richard's at school).

Richard has his own page in Wikipedia. Interesting man.

it looks as though Alexander may have left the country, taking to 2 older boys with. His company seems to have had a New York office.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Dunn-Pattison

Thank you for coming back to me so quickly.
    There appears to be in your thread two Richards. Is the second one Robert?
    I don't think that Richard Phillipson went with his father to the New York office, as he was in a Scottish regiment and later became an Oxford Don.So the question is, Is there a relationship between my grandfather and any other surviving Dunn-Pattisons? As a matter of interest, my mother was called Janet and my name is Alexander.My grandfather had two daughters, Janet and Katherine.
    I noticed that there was a Miss L Dunn-Pattison at my mother's wedding. Do you know who she might be?
    Thank you very much.
    Regards
    Alexander

You're right. The first one should be Robert. Richard and Janet stayed with Minnie, the older boys went with Alex.
    I just did a quick sweep through the census and FreeBMD, I'm sure you can find the others with a bit more care.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Just an extra note my maternal grandfather lived at Kilbowie House in Oban. Later I find him living at Kilbowie House, Braunton, Devon. I am thinking, why did he move there from Oban? From a previous thread, it appears that Minnie either came from Somerset or she was married there. If after the divorce?, she decided to go back to Somerset, then It would make sense for my grandfather and, Winifred, his wife. to move down there. It was whilst they lived at Braunton. that my mother, Janet, was borne there (1911). A history of his regiment in World War I (Captain in the 6th Battalion (Territorial) Devonshire Regiment) used to be kept at Plymouth Library.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Richard Dunn-Pattison

This is just confirmation: Minnie Katherine Dunn-Pattison was married to Alexander Dunn-Pattison. Apparently he died on 27th October 1884 ay Oban.However the National Census of 1881 shows Minnie, age 29; Richard, age 6 and Janet, age 5 Dunn-P[attison living at Sutherland House, Weston-super-Mere?, without Alexander, which is three years before Alexaander's death, which could give credence that he might have devorced his wife. My wife and I went to Oban whilst on a walking holiday around Fort William, with the purpose of visiting 'Kilbowie House' where Richard spent some time with his wife befoer moving south. Unfortunatley we had to catch the last bus back to Fort William.

The National Census of 1891 shows that Richard was at Fettes College age sixteen.

The National Census of 1901 shows Minnie, age 49; Richard, age 26 and Janet, age 25.

The National Census of 1911 just shows Mary Winifred Dunn-Pattison, age 34 and Richard Dunn-Pattison, age 36.

As a footnote: I found-out that the Miss L. Dunn-Pattison who was at my parent's wedding is Leila Kathleen Dunn-Pattison. It appears that she lived for some time in London.

Alexander Henderson
    panda.hendersonATbtinternetDOTcom
    Last edited by christanel; 19-04-2018 at 7:50 PM. Reason: email address disguised to deter spam

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Morning

I find this whole thread absolutely amazing and I do hope you are all still active

I purchased land adjacent to the Duntocher Burn in Glasgow and have been doing research to try and track down the history of the Duntocher burn and dam and this has lead me to the family tree you are discussing.

I was looking to track down any modern-day heirs who may still live or own land in Glasgow, descending from Alexander Pattison Dunn who after a lengthy court battle (17 years!) won the inheritance of the lands of waterways of Duntocher and the cotton mills.

https://digital.nls.uk/histories-of-...=transcription

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum. As you have noted, this is a very old thread. You can see which memberships are still active by the tag under the writer’s name, top left corner of the message. Anyone shown as “guest” is no longer a member. As long as the email address we have for members is still valid, they should be notified of your message BUT we have no way to check.

Fingers crossed.