Thread: Stereopics

Davran

Default Stereopics

Does anyone know anything about stereopics (or stereoview) photos? We have some dated about 1905 and I wondered when they were invented and how long they were around for.

Jan1954

Have a look here: https://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~s-herbert/wetdry.htm

It's called Stereoscopic Photography

Davran

Thanks, Jan, that's exactly what I wanted to know.

I notice in the article it says they were able to take pictures of street scenes, ie moving people, etc. One of the family group photos I have has a really bizarre picture of a young girl with two faces - she obviously moved her head. The dog is a complete blur and an older gentleman is jiggling a parasol up and down with his foot!

uksearch

What a fabulous site.

UK

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by uksearch View Post
    What a fabulous site.

UK
    Thank you, UK, you are right. When I found it I managed to lose myself for ages!

Philippa_Harvey

Default Stereoscopic photography

Just to add a point of interest:

When we lived in Hobart in 1981-1983 a friend owned a stereoscopic camera made by the US company Radioshack.

He had bought it himself so it certainly wasn't an antique (although some may argue that point). He said the reason he didn't use it too often was that the films were quite expensive. We saw some of the results of his experiments with the camera and while they weren't awe inspiring they were really quite good.

I don't know if that type of camera is still available - when I enquired about them at a local Tandy store (about the mid 80s) I was told (in the superior manner of the young and inexperienced) that Stereo related to sound and not cameras. I have to confess to a rather nasty feeling of "knowing better" when I explained that while stereo meant two, phonic related to sound but scopic related to sight. I doubt that he really believed me but at least he did look up the catalogue and found that they were still available.

Philippa