Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    kellybc

Unhappy Rogate v. Beaujule

I'm researching an Edward Kemp, I have documentation suggesting he was born in Rogate, W. Sussex / Hampshire border. When I search on familysearch.org, 1881 census, I find the Edward Kemp I'm looking for with a birthplace of Beaujule, Sussex.

Has anyone got an explanation of this birthplace. I can't find anywhere in Sussex/Hampshire that could be mis-transcribed into Beaujule. I've also searched the name using Google and all I come up with is a reference to Wine (Beaujule Villages).

Can anyone help in this matter?

Di&Trev

Default Kemp

Had a look on the original image its either Beaujule or possibly Beaufule, neither of which helps does it? Can't make out wifes birthplace either.
    Do you have him on the 1871? Was he married in 1871 if not do you know his parents names? I'll have a look on 1871 on ancestry for you if you have any other info.But there are an awful lot of Kemps so it would help if you could pin it down a bit.

kellybc

Default Rogate v. Beaujule

The Edward Kemp I'm looking for was born between 1840 & 1850 there is conflicting evidence of his age. His age on his marriage cert. 1870 in Froyle, Hampshire, shows he was 30 (born 1840), other census records for instance 1881 show him as 34 ie born in 1847 (another mystery). He married a Rhoda Rowell from Froyle. The 1871 Census shows them living in Islington, London/Middlesex and the 1881 census has them in Hornsey Road, London. Edward Kemps father was John Kemp. This is as much as I know about the Kemps. I have very good data on the Rowells from the Froyle website which has very comprehensive data of BMD and Heads of Family's etc. from parish records.

Appreciate your help.

Di&Trev

Default 1901

Hi Kelly
    Don't know if this is any use to you but I found them on the 1901 census as follows:
    Edward is listed as a Navvy and the 18yr old son George as a gardeners labourer. Living at 48 Gordon or Jordon Road.
    Even though Edward is listed as being from Roagate in Essex its def Sussex on original image
    Ascar Holly 7 Hornsey, Middlesex, England Grandson Hornsey Middlesex
    Harry Holly 5 Hornsey, Middlesex, England Grandson Hornsey Middlesex
    Edward Kemp 58 Roagate, Essex, England Head Hornsey Middlesex
    George Kemp 18 Holloway, London, England Son Hornsey Middlesex
    Rodah Kemp 50 Froyle, Hampshire, England Wife Hornsey Middlesex
    Harry Parrot 50 Luton, Bedfordshire, England Boarder Hornsey Middlesex
    William Potter 34 Thorpe, Essex, England Boarder Hornsey Middlesex
    Source information: RG13/1241
    Registration district: Edmonton
    Sub-registration district: Hornsey
    ED, institution, or vessel: 25
    Folio: 32
    Page: 55 (click to see others on page)
    Household schedule number: 316

Sorry I couldn't shed any light on Beaujule, maybe his family worked at a country house called that or something similar. I had an instance of that in my tree.

Di&Trev

Unhappy Extra info - not very likely though

This is from BIVRI
    KEMP, Edward Christened 1848 Engl Suss Rye
    Father: John KEMP
    Mother: Elizabeth
    Ties in with this from BMD
    Name: KEMP, Edward
    Record Type: Births
    Quarter: December
    Year: 1847
    District: Rye
    County: Kent Sussex
    Volume: 7
    Page: 462

But its a bit of a distance from Rogate.
    Can't find any born in Midhurst registration district (which coovers Rogate) in 1840-1847 under Edward but if Edward is middle name there are 3 possibles I've found, probably more if I keep looking..
    William Sept 1843. Vol 7 page 517. Midhurst. Sussex
    George Sept 1843. Vol 7 Page 40. Midhurst
    Henry June 1843 Vol 7 Page 899. Midhurst

kellybc

Default A Big Thankyou

A Big thankyou to Di&Trev for there efforts in helping me. Your second response was most fruitful. Although there are transcription errors in the info you provided it was enough for me to get another piece of the jigsaw at least slotted in and to be confirmed at a later date.

Ascar (Oscar) and Harry Holly (Hally or Holley) are the Nephews of Edward and I've traced his sisters marriage to a Jesse Daniel Holley of Wiltshire.

Shame I didn't get an answer to Beaujule, however, this extra info has spurred me on again.

Merry Christmas

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by kellybc
    I'm researching an Edward Kemp, I have documentation suggesting he was born in Rogate, W. Sussex / Hampshire border. When I search on familysearch.org, 1881 census, I find the Edward Kemp I'm looking for with a birthplace of Beaujule, Sussex. Has anyone got an explanation of this birthplace. I can't find anywhere in Sussex/Hampshire that could be mis-transcribed into Beaujule.
    Bearing in mind that you've looked at a transcription rather than the original document, I'd suggest that this may well be a misinterpretation of Rogate.

The capital 'R' was often written with a flourish - a loop at the end of the tail on the bottom right of the letter. This loop can be easily mistaken for an additional letter 'e' and if the letter was feint or written in a certain way, it can look similar to a 'B'. So that may make a place name that seems to begin 'Be'. The vowels are frequently hard to read, so an 'o' being read as an 'a' is no surprise.

The letter 'g' can also be hard to read, and whilst more commonly mistaken as 'ij' - if there is a mark on the original census , it may well have been read as 'uj'. There is then a vowel o/u which as I have mentioned can be mistaken; 't' was often written without a cross-bar, so that it would look like 'l' and both names end in 'e'.

The answer is to look at the original census return, but it would be no great shock to me if it was actually Rogate.

Geoffers

kellybc

Thanks Geoffers, This was one of the possibilities I was working on, but I thought I would ask the question to see if it dug up anything.

Annie

Hi Kelly
    I've looked at the 1881 census and tried to attach the image of where Edmund Kemp was born, unsuccessfully , it certainly don't look like Rogate though. If you would like the 1871 and 1881 image from Ancestry let me know.

Annie

kellybc

Hi Annie, I've now checked the original 1881 record and you're right it definately doesn't look like Rogate or meet Geoffers explanation. It does look very much like as I first stated Beaujule, so I appear to be no further on. Di&Trev's response regarding a house name is something to consisder though.

Would appreciate details of your 1871 find on Ancestry, I couldn't dig up anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast