Default Manchester cathedral area

Hi,
    I have a family living in Manchester in the 1830s. Their children were baptised at the cathedral and the father's occupation from 1851-71 was small wear weaver or cotton weaver. This may be a foolish question but were there any mills in this area that he may have worked at?
    Angelaj

uksearch

Yes there were, but the Parish of Manchester covered an area of more than 60 sq miles, so they might not have actually lived on the doorstep of the Collegiate & Parish church of Manchester (as it was known until 1847). However, the baptism details may give a better idea of whether he lived within the relative small (in area) township of Manchester.

UK

Hi,
    Thanks for the link and the info about the cathedral. I just assumed it had always been a cathedral although I really should know better (ex architectural history student). Manchester is new territory for me.
    Angelaj

uksearch

You will find a lot more Manchester information suitable for your needs on the uksearch2003 site i.e. the history of the parish, the church and the growth of the town, incorporation and expansion of the city etc...

UK