GARRYW

Default BENNEY, Charles Frederick

Charles Frederick Benney b 1862 in Falmouth, Cornwall. He came to New Zealand and married Elizabeth Owen in Gisborne 1884 and died 1924 Gisborne. According to death cert his parents are Richard Benney and Emily Gill. Any info on this family much appreciated.

Regards
    Garry Williams

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

This is probably him in the 1871 census - not Falmouth.

Piece: RG10/2274 Place: St Just -Cornwall Enumeration District: 3
    Civil Parish: Gerrans Ecclesiastical Parish: -
    Folio: 25 Page: 5 Schedule: 22
    Address: Portscatho
    BENNEY Richard Head M M 47 General Servant Cornwall - St Enoder
    BENNEY Emily Wife M F 36 Cornwall - St Columb
    BENNEY Louisa Dau U F 10 Scholar Cornwall - Gerrans
    BENNEY Charles Son U M 8 Scholar Cornwall - Gerrans
    BENNEY Fanny Dau U F 4 Scholar Cornwall - Gerrans
    BENNEY Mary Dau U F 2 Cornwall - Gerrans

You can have a look yourself on FreeCEN - in 1861 Emily is at home on her own with the children, whilst her husband appears to be a groom in another household. In 1861 Emily is 'a former servant' aged 25, and the eldest child is 9, so she was young when they married. They are living in rooms over a stable, Richard shown at the next household. (age & birthplace not consistent)

Looking at 1851 - it is appears that Emily may well be his second wife, as young Elizabeth is 12 months old, and his wife is named Fanny,almost the same age as Richard at 29, and with the same birthplace as Emily who would be only 15 - Richard is born at St Enedor as stated on 1861.

There is only one entry in Cornwall for 1851 for an Emily Gill around that age, she is a servant aged 18. I believe the 1851 is complete for Cornwall, as is 1841.

https://freecen.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

ChristineR

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

And their marriage is on FreeBMD - both on the same page.

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Marriages Dec quarter 1858
    Benney Richard
    Gill Emily

GRO references
    District St Columb Volume 5c page 207
    it is best to check the GRO image in case that reference is not right.

Also on FreeBMD is the death of a Fanny Benney in St Columb district, Jun quarter 1857, so it looks like my theory is right.

Young Louisa's baptism shows in the Gerrans Online Parish Clerk website for 1861.

ChristineR

MarkJ

Only one Richard Benn(e)y baptised at St Enoder in the relevant period -

21 June 1818 Richard Benny, son of Richard and Elizabeth.

I had a good luck through, several years either side, and that was the only one.

On the 1841 census, there is a Richard Benny, aged 20, working as a servant at Trevuzza, which is in St Enoder parish.No sign of either of the parents mentioned in the baptism in the Parish though.No sign of any burials for either of the parents in St Enoder, so they may have moved away.

Gill - wonder if she was from Indian Queens/St Columb Road area? Close to St Enoder parish (and now part of the same parish!), but in early years they came under St Columb.
    There are still Gills living in Queens, so there is a possibility that your Emily is from the same family...

Mark

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi GarryW,

I realise this is a very old thread but my husband is related to Richard Benney & his first wife Fanny James, through their daughter Elizabeth Ann Benney. I have details of marriages & death certs etc if you are interested in Richard Benney's family, with both wives.