colleen

Default TAPSCOTT research

Researching all Tapscott families from Devon and Somerset. Please get in touch if you are tracing your Tapscott family.

Colleen
    Last edited by Guest; 01-10-2007 at 1:37 PM.

Barry Stopgate

Post Tapscot research

Hello Colleen

I believe I may have a Tapscot ancestor. He is James Tapscot, who married Elizabeth Fishlock at the parish church of Wilcott in Wiltshire on December 21st 1863. James occupation was 'Navigator', ie navvie or labourer. His father's name was George, and he also was a labourer. James probably came from Devon, he gives his place of birth as South Molton in the census of 1871.

This is all I know about James at the moment, but I must chase him up as he is probably my great grandfather. Best of luck with your research, if you come across anything which might be relevant to me I would be glad to hear from you.

Good luck

Barry Stopgate

colleen

Default TAPSCOTT research

Hi Barry,

Thank you for contacting me. I have agreed your membership to the Tapscott Family Somerset Group and have replied to you there.

Colleen

AnnB

Hello Collen
    I have no connection with any Tapscotts, but have just found the following in the North Devon Journal of the 26th November 1829 and I thought you might like it
    'Lately, at St Peter's Church, Tiverton, by the Rev. J. Spurway, Mr Tapscott, of that Town, who has reached the blooming age of 82 years, to a fair young damsel of 22, and niece to the old gentleman; he buried his first rib about six months since.'
    Hope you might be able to place him.........
    Best wishes
    Ann

LizziB33

Hi Colleen
    "You are looking for Tapscotts, I have traced back to Humfrey and Joan Tapscott 1647"
    My family span out from me Liz Bang nee Stuckey - Humfrey & Joan Tapscott Uffculme, Kentisbear, Broadhembury, Heavitree Exeter
    Humfrey ( Humfridus) Tapscott m Joan (?) there is no surname on the marriage record in 1647, daughter Elizabeth married Robert Piercy 1670, their daughter Elizabeth married William Denham in 1703, their daughter Elizabeth married Phillip Baker , their daughter Mary married William Radford, their daughter Mary married Francis Bennett, their daughter Elizabeth married William Godfrey, their daughter Elizabeth married Edward Baker, their daughter Elizabeth married William Chamberlain, their daughter Annie Beatrice married Alexander Graham and their daughter Elizabeth married Kenneth Stuckey and their daughter Elizabeth (me) married Carsten Bang.
    I am trying to trace my Grandfather's family so did a DNA test, only to learn it will only give my female line, so that spurred me on to trace this back as far as I could...ending with Joan as her surname was not given on the marriage record!
    I wonder if there are any other relations connected to my family

Hallo LizziB33 and a very warm welcome to British Genealogy. Colleen hasn't visited for some years, but hopefully if she hasn't changed her e-mail your post will trigger an e-mail alert to her.

Meanwhile, now you are here, do have a good look round the whole site.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids