dubie33

Post Industrial School

Can anyone do a lookup for me please.

I am researching my husbands grand mother - Annie Cartwright. She is on the 1901 census an inmate, age 15 - birthplace unknown.

Northenden Road Industrial School for Girls, Sale. This institution was run from the Manchester Industrial Schhol for Boys.

I have the following reference:-

Repository Manchester Archives and Local Studies Record Reference M 369
    NRA catalogue reference NRA 24108 Manchester

Scope 1877-1980: minutes, financial records, superintendents reports, log books, corresp, registers etc

Dont know if there is paperwork regarding family information etc. I dont know how long she was there, but understand they left aged 16.

She married in 1923. Her father was given as Peter Cartwright (decd).

Thank you

Eileen W

uksearch

Hi dubie,

There could be a problem with this request as some of these records are restricted access.The first thing I need to know is this lady still with us? (I realise that this is very unlikey)I can say with certainty that I can get sight of the Admissions Records 1833-1904(M369/4/18/2) and the Discharge Records 1890-1900(M369/4/19/2) 1901-1910(M369/4/19/3).If you let me know what other details you are looking for I will gladly try to find them after the holiday.Are you aware of what Industrial schools were?

UK
    Last edited by uksearch; 23-12-2004 at 6:55 PM.

uksearch

Default Admissions Record

Here is what I found.
    Register of Admissions
    Manchester Certified Industrial School-Branch For Girls,Sale.
    No 596 Annie Cartwright 12 ys 1 mth
    Date of Birth 26th Nov 1885
    Date of Admission 13th Jan 1898
    Where,When & by Who Ordered to be admitted...Bolton,13th Jan 1898,J.Livsey(?) & C.Heaton Esq
    With What Charged....Section 14 of the Industrial Schools Act 1866 having no guardianship
    By What School Board sent...Bolton
    Period of Detention...Till sixteen years of age
    Previous Character...Not Given
    Religious Persuasion..Church of England
    State If "Illegitimate"...No
    Parentage
    Name of Father...William Cartwright
    Occcupation...Collier
    Character...Bad
    Address...No Known
    Name of Mother...Alice Cartwright
    Occupation... ---------------
    Character...Bad
    Address...Not Known
    Remarks
    The offficer stated that this child had been knocking about from one person to another without home or guardianship.The father was said to be in Nottingham and nothing seemed known of the mother's whereabouts.I am afraid she had seen plenty of low life.

Regards,

UK

uksearch

Default Discharge

Here is what was recorded about her discharge.

Manchester Certified Industrial School-Girls' Branch,Sale
    No 596 Admitted...........18....(discharged) on Licence Sept 26 1901 Finally Discharged Nov 26th 1901...Time Expired
    A.Cartwright £7.00 left school Nov 26th c/o Mrs Lindsey,St John's Vicarage,Harford,Swansea
    Aug 1902 visited by Supt Good Report
    Visited by Supt Aug 1903 Report Splendid Housemaid
    Oct 1904 now with Mrs Lewis (?) or Harris(?),15 Westbourne Crescent,Cardiff General

UK

Clive Blackaby

Have you established yet where on Northenden Road this august (?) institution stood, and whether it is still standing? Sale is very much on my "stamping ground", so could do a walk-by with digital camera if there's anything there worth seeing.

dubie33

Smile Industrial School Info.

Thank you so much for the information. Poor Annie.
    I have no information where the school was located in the road. Any pictures would be very welcomed.

Thank you

Regards
    Eileen

uksearch

Annie was perhaps one of the luckier inmates.After I found her records I spent some time reading through other entries.Some of the poor kids were real scallys.

UK

wiltrud

Default industrial school location

Hi Eileen,

By pure chance I was doing an Internet search to discover more about Northenden Rd Industrial School for Girls and came across your post on this forum. I had found a picture of this school in a photo archive and that's what got me looking for more info as I used to live near the school.

When I was growing up in the 1950's & 60's it was known locally as "the naughty girls school" and that is about as much as I ever knew about it.

I'm fairly sure the actual building was demolished long ago, as that patch of road was redeveloped many years ago but I can tell you where it was. It was fairly close to the junction with Norris Road. As you come out of Norris Rd and turn right onto Northenden Road the school was on the left just a bit further along, pretty much opposite Boundary Grove if not before. All I remember of it was a big dark old house set back slightly from the road. There was a bus stop there.

You can see the picture I found here but it's an aerial view taken in 1933 when Norris Road didn't exist (my family moved to a brand new council estate there in 1956):

https://www.images.manchester.gov.uk/...&QueryPage=%2F

Wiltrud

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Eileen .. I remember this school as one of Mums friends ( a very kind jolly lady) used to work there & Sale Moor is where I grew up. The young ladies always appeared clean, well dressed, healthy & happy & not badly behaved at all!! They had walks as a group (about 20 or so with several staff ) twice a week & wore Gaberdine coats & felt hats with a brim both in a darkish brown colour .. The location was between Norris Rd & Boundary Grove but on the opposite side. a large Victorian set back in grounds. My memories are from the 1960s onwards but I moved away mid 1970s when I got married so I'm not sure when the "Ragged School" or "Naughty Girls School" closed down. No idea why the girls were there either? Possibly petty stealing or not a good home life? Hope this helps .. Sue ...( Manchester Library have images, you have to request permission but I cant see that being a problem? )

https://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/ManchesterGirlsIS/