Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Hi Debbie

How old was Henry Young when he died?

Ben

mouseuk

Default Young family

Henry was 81 when he died. A good age considering the conditions they lived in. I have been reading up a bit about the area on a site called Explore Victorian London and a piece by George Godwin from his book London Shadows of 1854. It sounds as though Thanksgiving buildings was built after slum clearance and was of ' a better standard' but no doubt still basic.
    I have been on your facebook site today and was most interested in the photos. I noticed a name Young on one of the documents. Any further details?
    regards

Debbie

bluestockingdaisy

Hello Debbie. My grandfather, Michael Sculley died at 6 Thanksgiving Buildings in 1922. His aunt on his mother's side- my great aunt, was Rachel Souster who married a Charles Young,born 1879. His father was Charles Young b1849, who married a Mary A Hine in 1872.
    Rachel and Charles married in 1913 in St Andrew and St Philip Church, Holborn
    They all seem to be in the right area, any connections?
    Barbara

mouseuk

Default Youngs

Hi Barbara,
    Thanks for your reply.
    I do not have any Charles Youngs on the tree but maybe they could be related, poss cousins or something. I am unsure of Henry 1843 parentage as his marraige cert has father unknown although it has his occupation as Hairdresser! I cannot tie down his birth for sure and therefore are not sure of siblings. He had Robert Edward 1864, Albert 1868, William 1871, Maria 1880 and Louise 1882 that i know of.
    Was there anyone of Catholic faith in the family? Your grandfathers name sounds Irish and there were a lot of Irish in the area. I have been unable to establish if the Youngs were of Irish descent but i suspect the women they married were.
    Best wishes

Debbie

bluestockingdaisy

Hello Rebecca, my grandfather had Irish parents but was born in Yorkshire. He must have known your gggrandfather, he was at number 17 and Michael was at number 6 Thanksgiving Buildings.
    I have managed to get just one picture of the buildings
    Not sure of the Young connection, they married in a C of E church.
    Small world
    Barbara

Hi

I have done a lot of research on Holborn and those buildings have cropped up so many times. Verulam Buildings, Baldwins Gardens, Thanksgiving Buildings, Duncan Buildings as well as my fave one Evelyn Buildings where my ancestors lived during the 1880s.

I think Thanksgiving Buildings was built in 1851. St Alban Church was consecrated in 1863 and Father Alexander Mackonochie was the brains behind many construction of model dwellings in the area. He wanted a better standard of living for the poor of this central London parish.

Ben

mouseuk

Default Young family & holborn

Barbara,

Yes it is quite possible that they knew one another. All my Youngs married in C OF E churches although some of them went over the river to Christ Church in Southwark. Not sure why but wondered if if was one of the churches that married people for free. However family story had it that they went to St Etheldredas in Ely place to worship and my great grandfather Robert was an alter boy there. No records seems to exist according to the archivist. I was wondering whether they were baptised here and the records are at the Westminster Achives in Kensington. However they only open 2 afternoons a week and are booked until middle Sep, when i am back at work!
    I see you live in Herts like me. I am in Broxbourne.

Ben
    Yes i have been reading up about the area and have also looked at the Charles Booths povety maps. I noticed at the National archives they hold a watercolour picture of Thanksgiving buildings as part of their Peasbody holdings. It would be nice to see that. I walked the area a few months ago with my husband and had a look at St Alban Church and The Bourne Estate that is there now. I note on your site that you mention a printing works and Henry Young at the time of his marriage in 1861 and again on 1871 census is a Lithographic printer. What was the name of the printing co and do you know if it was in operation during this time period. He later is listed as a general labourer and then a house painter so clearly changed his profession.

Best wishes

Debbie

bluestockingdaisy

Hello Debbie. A very small world, I am in Hoddesdon. Have you any links with Southam St where my Charles Young ended up with Rachel? I think Charles was born in Ealing abt 1879. I may well be wrong though everything fitted.

My father went to Sunday school at St Albans. I have a book presented to him in 1912, he was born 1903 in Duncan Buildings
    Best wishes, Barbara

mouseuk

Default Youngs

Yes it is a small world Barbara!
    I have not come across Southam Street at all. They were either at Verulum Place, Verulum Street, Baldwin Gardens or Fox Court and later Thanksgiving Buildings. One thing that always seemed odd to me was that Henry Young and his son Robert Edward seemed to live in such poor conditions yet my father remembers that his grandfather who was a Robert George and son of Robert Edward seemed to live quite well. He bought his own house in Edmonton and took his family away to a cottage in Cornwall during the war. I understand the family later went into confectionery and had stalls in the Farringdon Road. This may have been something to do with Robert Edward wifes family. She was Mary Ann Smith and her parents were George and Margaret Smith. They lived in Bell Court and then Fox court although George is listed as a carman. margaret was of Irish descent coming from Cork.
    Any confectioners in your Youngs?
    Debbie

Hi

I love St Alban Holborn. The parish and the church. My great, great grandfather lived in St Pancras and was a litho printer. His wife whom he wed in 1886 lived in Holborn. I think he worked there and met her in Holborn in about 1884 or 1885.

Her family moved into Evelyn Buildings in 1882 and her mum died at 25 Evelyn Buildings in 1886.

Ben

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast