Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

There is one marriage which I know of which can't be fitted in here. On 23 Aug 1844 by banns, FRANCIS COOK HINGSTON, aged 27, bachelor mariner of St Ives married JANE COLEMAN aged 18 spinster of St Ives (father: John Coleman, mariner) witnesses: Richard Cogar Bryant, Thomas Williams '
    But that is your Francis' parent's marriage. The two Hingston families probably join up back further - Francis was a very common name.

What occupation was given for his father on your Francis' marriage in Australia? You could get Francis birth certificate (quoted earlier in 1847) which will indicate his father's occupation at that time.

ChristineR

PS - Salt was used in curing fish. Your Francis could have worked for the other Francis which is why the letter was in the family.

Kate Allan

Talking

I cut and pasted that section that you quoted from the Hingston website! Even he has no idea. What hope do I have??

There was no occupation given for Francis' father, only that he was deceased.

Francis senior did not seem to be in St Ives for long. I found a few copies of Pigots, online, he seems only to be listed for the 1829-30 edition. Other similar businesses seemed to stay insitu for years. Francis' letter mentioned a Squire Bolitho ( found him in the Pigot's listed as Boletho and Co

I had a few thoughts........1) Young Francis is old Francis's son or maybe nephew.

2) young Francis is indeed Illegitimate. If so, who does he take his surname from, mother or father?
    3) young francis is Malachi Hingston's brother (Malachi was listed as being a Shipwright in the 1841 census)
    4) Malachi is old Francis' brother.

Where would I get an 1847 birth certificate from?

Any idea who would like a copy of the wrong Hingston will?? LOL

You have been so very helpful!

ps: Salt would have been used to cure the pilchards, a major fishing haul at the time.

Kate Allan

On 23 Aug 1844 by banns, FRANCIS COOK HINGSTON, aged 27, bachelor mariner of St Ives married JANE COLEMAN aged 18 spinster of St Ives (father: John Coleman, mariner) witnesses: Richard Cogar Bryant, Thomas Williams '

Surname Given Name District Volume Page Transcriber
    Births Dec 1847
    HINGSTON Francis Cock Penzance IX 178 BrendaL

How do I find the original of this birth certificate? Am i right in thinking Francis Cock is son of Francis Cook?

Where would I find Francis Cook b/c? NOt through freebmd! I don't seem to have any success with Cornwall OPCs!

Kate Allan

Exclamation Cornwall Confusion

In the endeavour to run to earth the origins of my g-g-g-grandfathers, Ive kind of come up against a wall. I'm throwing this out to the universe!

First fact: My grandmother always said that her grandfatther came from St Ives. He did, I have marriage certificate, which also gives his father's name (deceased, no idea when or what from).

Second fact: I've found his father and mother's marriage bann, which does not give the name of the father, still trying to work that one out

Third Fact: Have a handwritten letter from a third gentleman of the same name (which, on the back written in pencil is a note from my grandmother's aunt, affirming that this is indeed a letter written by the g-g-grandfather in 1831.) I know he was in St Ives in 1830 (Pigot's directory)

I have searched the online Cornwall census files and can only find on feloow by the same name, but i'm pretty sure he is no relation. I have also searched the OPR for Cornwall which yield NO people by the name ( othe than the fellow mentioned in the census) .

A Very kind and helpful forum member ( who I have bounced these things off) suggested I check with the Baptism registers as this may shed some light. I am happy to but a CD from Parish Chest but .,......how do I know I'm buying the right one. I have also found the name in Towendack, Megavissey, Liskeard....

Whilst I'm at it, what would cover their causes of death?

Oh, the Surname's HINGSTON, ( HiNGESTON< HINGSTONE, HINGESTOUN etc!

Please Help,

Kate

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Allan View Post
    On 23 Aug 1844 by banns, FRANCIS COOK HINGSTON, aged 27, bachelor mariner of St Ives married JANE COLEMAN aged 18 spinster of St Ives (father: John Coleman, mariner) witnesses: Richard Cogar Bryant, Thomas Williams '

Surname Given Name District Volume Page Transcriber
    Births Dec 1847
    HINGSTON Francis Cock Penzance IX 178 BrendaL

How do I find the original of this birth certificate? Am i right in thinking Francis Cock is son of Francis Cook?

Where would I find Francis Cook b/c? NOt through freebmd! I don't seem to have any success with Cornwall OPCs!

Kate,

23 Aug 1844 by Banns
    Francis Cock Hingston 27 bachelor Mariner of St. Ives (Father: [blank] )
    Jane Coleman 18 spinster of St. Ives (Father: John Coleman, Mariner)
    Witnesses: Richard Cogar Bryant, Thomas Williams
    It is not COOK for the middle name on his father's marriage in 1844 - the West Penwith Resources website has the marriage of his father transcribed as Cock, the same as the birth registration from FreeBMD which would surely be the son - which is a civil record. the age is a bit sooner than you expected but that is not unusual.

There are several places selling baptism transcripts/indexes as I mentioned before.

Or you could inquire from an online Parish Clerk.

ChristineR

Second fact: I've found his father and mother's marriage bann, which does not give the name of the father, still trying to work that one out
    Banns do not name fathers - that is the marriage record in St Ives
    Banns will only state intention to marry, and name the 3 Sundays that the Banns were published.

Either he did not know who his father was, he was illegitimate, or the minister forgot to ask and did not know his father (which seems unlikely)

Sorry, didn't read your second post right through - re purchasing a baptism cd. For a start, the Hingston name goes right back in St Ives, so I doubt that you would be wasting your money, as they may well all be related to you. Check out the difference between an index and transcripts of the register to see if it is going to contain the information that you want.

There isn't really much else you can do - you have stated that Francis and Jane, nee Colman, are his parents. They married in St Ives. They both resided in St Ives. In the absence of census entries giving a different location for their birth places, then that is where you need to start. Only then do you look elsewhere in surrounding parishes.

There may be more information about his father on Francis Jnrs birth certificate. Even the address where he was born might tell you something.

You could start a new thread in specific lookups, and request a lookup in the St Ives register - by his age he was born about 1817, and his son in 1847, both baptisms are probably in the same source material. In the subject line put "St Ives baptism lookup abt 1817" and then anyone with the resources might look for you.

ChristineR

Kate Allan

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou! YOu must think I'm very silly!

I have been muddling for years by myself, this is the first time I've thought to ask for help so really don't know what I'm doing! By the way, I'm not the one calling him Francis Cook....that is the fellow on the Hingston website,

I made a mistake, I meant that Francis Jnr was the son of Francis Cock.....and that Maybe Francis cock was the son of Francis snr (whether it be illegitimate or what ever!)

I'll try the look ups first, then take it from there!

On another note, the things you turn up when digging in the past are amazing!

CHeers. KAte

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Francis Hingston born 1847

Hi Kate
    What a bonus finding your message. Serendipity plays such a part in these things as i found you when doing a Google "fishing" search on the name Francis Hingston. Francis Hingston B 1847 is my Great Grandfather.

I live in Australia and descend from the Francis you spoke of as migrating with his mother, although as such i have been able to find no record here of his arrival. Do you know approximately when it was? or which ship etc. I have lots of stuff on the Australian branch of his family, from when and who he married down to the youngest generation. However, having said that, i do still have some gaps in some areas which i am working on.

By "the Guy on the Hingston website" I am guessing you mean Chris Burgoyne with whom i have been in touch. We believe that Francis Cook H and Francis Cock H are one and the same and there was a mistake in the writing or transcription, easy with copperplate writing.

I have just sent for Francis Hingston born 1847's birth certificate as well a his parents marriage certificate which i hope will give some leads.

Francis the vicar is no relation to us an as yet, neither Chris or I have been unable to find a connection between the Francis born 1847 and any other Penzance Hingstons. Hopefully the BC and Mc might throw some light

I am really interested in your connection to the family. I can send you family groups of what i have here re descendants etc but should probably send it to you off line as i would need to send them as attachments (i am not retying them !!)

You will be interested to know that the name Francis has come down through the family, even down to my grand children's generation!

Hope we can collaborate more for mutual know;edge and benefit.
    Trish Fallen
    Western Australia

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Kate Hi again.
    I have just realised you are form Sydney. Maybe you are from one of the Australian Hingston branches i am missing???
    REgards
    Trish
    WA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12