Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

(3) Mrs Hair was Mary, not Martha.

There are no death certs for Martha Hair on SP. I wonder whether that's been mis-transcribed from Mary?
    Mind you, there's not a lot of joy on d.certs for "Mary". There's only one who comes close - there's a Mary Hair aged 80 who died in 1884 in Airdrie, New Monkland, Lanark who has Bowskell as a related surname... There's another with Brown as a second surname who died in 1874, but she died on the other side of the country, in Tanent, East Lothian.
    Of course she could have died before 1855..

Lesley

Mary Young

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    (3) Mrs Hair was Mary, not Martha.
    A****y have her as MARTHA in 1841 and 1851.

jane.harrison.9

Think I have found William and Jane on 1861 living in West Dalkeith Midlothian. There is an Archibald Bowman age71 b Lanarkshire.living with them, listed on A*****ry as their son.Could this be an uncle or something?
    Jane

Quote Originally Posted by jane.harrison.9 View Post
    Think I have found William and Jane on 1861 living in West Dalkeith Midlothian. There is an Archibald Bowman age71 b Lanarkshire.living with them, listed on A*****ry as their son.Could this be an uncle or something?
    Jane

With that friendly neighbourhood transcription serve, many things are possible..... He could even be aged 7 or 1. It would be best to look at the original image.

Lesley

greann

Hi All, thanks for all the intrest. Archibald Bowman age 71 in the census is actually their son. My great great granddad.
    Ann

lionelO

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Young View Post
    Relationships were not on the schedule for the 1841 census, if you found "stepson" there it's very unusual.
    Have you seen the original image for the Hairs in 1851? I only have access to the A****y index. it shows a William Brown, stepson (who may be William Bowman) still at home with the family and no sign of his wife. Unfortunately this index doesn't show marital status.
    132 King Street, Calton, Ayr
    Bernard HAIR head, broker 44 Ayr
    Martha HAIR wife 45 Glasgow
    John BROWN stepson, broker 25 Glasgow
    William BROWN stepson, broker 23 Glasgow
    James BOWMAN stepson, iron moulder 22 Glasgow
    Elizabeth BOWMAN stepdaur, at home 17 Glasgow
    Robert BOWMAN stepson, teacher 15 Glasgow
    Alexander HAIR son 9 Glasgow
    Jane HAIR daur 7 Glasgow

If William Bowman was indeed stepson of Bernard Hair, then
    (1) he was son of a previous wife of Bernard Hair, or
    (2) his mother's name was MARTHA not JEAN or MARY.

The following clearly explains the 3 different names in the Hair family.

William Agnew and Elizabeth Docherty, parents of Martha Agnew, b. 1800. Martha 1st married in Glasgow, Scotland in 1822 to John Brown, her 2nd husband was Robert Bowman 1828, her 3rd husband was Bernard Hair m. 1831

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12