Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    pmouritsen

Default Lewisham Workhouse Records

My 4X great grandfather died in 1856 in the Union Workhouse in Lewisham, Kent.

The FHL catalogue lists films of records of the Lewisham High Street Workhouse. Is this the same institution? What sort of information should I expect to find in these records?

Alan Welsford

This link looks like it will answer the first part of your query....

https://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.h...Lewisham.shtml

I don't know about FHL films, but this link lists the following held at the London Metropolitan Archives, 40 Northampton Road, London EC1R OHB.

Holdings include: Admissions and discharges (1837-1920); Births (1866-1909); Deaths (1883-1915); Creed registers (1869-1920); Guardians' minute books (1836-1930); etc.

Whoops!

I see you are in the States! - Holdings at LMA aren't going to help you much - sorry !

pmouritsen

Post Lewsham Workhouse

Thank you, Mr. Welsford. The link you posted is interesting and helpful. I especially liked the history and the photos. It also cleared up my question about whether there were two workhouses or one. I will order the film of the workhouse records and see what I find.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default lewisham

Sorry, but this is more of a question than an answer
    was there a Lewisham childrens home, or nay childrens homes in the area about 1901 to 1906, any body know.
    Robert.

Jan1954

Hello Robert,

There was Henry Toye's Orphanage amongst others.

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi

Admission and discharge registers are quite informative. They give the age, occupation, last residence, reason for admittance and often marital status and the name of who admitted them. If the death registers only survive from 1883, the admision registers will not doubt mention his death in the 1856 registers when he died.

Ben

How can I search the Lewisham workhouse records

Hi susanlilian,

They're on Ancestry in this record set. "London, England, Workhouse Admission and Discharge Records, 1764-1930"
    Alma

Reputation beyond repute

They're on Ancestry in this record set. "London, England, Workhouse Admission and Discharge Records, 1764-1930"
    Well, some of them are.

See https://search.lma.gov.uk/LMA_DOC/LEBG.PDF

Thank you for the link to Lewisham work House records I need to find out the child’s name the Luton Reporter Is referring to in the Article “Home for Deserted Child” If it is the right Rose Stoten it would be William Thomas Stoten born 1907 or his brother Arthur Gilbert Stoten born 1908 . They also mention the man she is living with in Southend on Sea I know my Grandmother lived there with my Grandfather Charles Francis Hutchison who she married in December 1917 I think she was still married to William Thomas Stoten born 1885 . It’s a shame they don’t mention who she is living with in Southend. I am unable so far to open the information you sent the link for. It maybe me as I am still a novice at this .Thahk you again for your reply Susan I should mention just to confuse thing she was calling herself Lily Hutchison so had dropped the name Rose . So it’s important I have more verification.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast