Islevista

Default Looking for Bish, Mayle and Dullaway

Hello to everyone

BISH, MAYLE and DULLAWAY

My name is Dianne. I am in Canada and have been here all of my life. My parents came to Canada from England in the early nineteen hundreds. They were both from Croydon. My father, Edward William Bish was born in the late eighteen hundreds. My mother Doris Ada Mayle was born on Dec. 2 1902 (I have her birth certificate) her family address at that time was 1 Fellmongers Yard. Her father was Henry Mayle and her mother was Florence Dullaway. I have not spent too much time looking but I am coming up to seveny one this year so I thought it is sort of a now or never thing. I have been in contact with some of my mother's relatives in Croydon and learned that my grandmother, Florence Dullaway was a full blooded gypsy. They don't know much about our history or have chosen not to tell me for some reason. I have my mothers Canadian naturalization certificate and a copy of my parents marriage certificate. They were married in the Croydon Parish Church (S. John Baptist.) on 30 April, 1927. So here I am looking to find my roots. I am a real newby who would appreciate any help or advice anyone can offer. Thank you

Hi Dianne,

And welcome to BG forum Take some time to have a nose around and get a feel for the place, and when you are ready start asking some question we may be able to help you with.

Friendly bunch round these parts, with lots of willing helpers always on hand to guide.

Hello Dianne
    and welcome to this frustrating and rewarding occupation/obsession.

I have just taken a quick look around for your Florence Dullaway mother of Doris Ada.
    First of all I came up with a marriage for a Florence Dullaway and Henry Mayle in June 1/4 1898 volume 2a page 616 registration district Croydon.

So I went looking for a Henry and Florence Mayle in the 1901 census and found them at Fellmongers Yard with their one year old daughter Florence. (Henry is down as Harry)
    The reference for this is RG13 Piece 638 Folio 60 page 40. I think the address would indicate that this is your Florence Dulloway mother of Doris Ada.

There is a birth for a Florence Dulloway March 1/4 1877 Croydon District vol.2a page 253 which ties in with Florence's age on the 1901 census.

There are 2 other Florence Dullaways but they were born 1894 and 1898 so are too young to be your Florence.

Applying for Henry and Florence's marriage certificate will give you their fathers' names and occupations and getting Florence's birth certificate will give you her father's name and her mother's maiden name.

Do you know about/have access to any of the research sites those of us who have been doing this for ages take for granted? If not, ask and we will give you some pointers.

Happy hunting
    Christina

Islevista

Default Thank you

My goodness what a quick response. Thank you so much. I am just trying to absorb everything. I do not know of any sites Christina so any advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated. It looks like you found evidence of my family without too much work. I am impressed. I think there is something, some mystery or other, because my parents would not talk much about their lives in England and they lost touch completely with their families and I am not sure why. Would I have to write for the certificates you mentioned? This all got me wondering just what I want and expect from all this and I guess I am looking for information about a way of life for these people. I picture working people that struggle along to make a living and a decent way of life. I am also curious about the possibility that my grandmother Florence Dullaway was a full blooded gypsy. I have a picture of her and she certainly looks like a gypsy. Very dark and sad looking. Almost frightening. I have been in contact with a cousin who denies the gypsy thing and one that swears it is true. This got me looking into Romanian Gypsies in England and I find that they are not too well loved there. People seem to dislike and fear them. So perhaps it is a denial thing. I will be happy to write to England for certificates and information. I have a family and I would love to leave them information about their roots. Thank you again to everyone and any advice will be greatly appreciated.
    Sending good wishes to you all from Canada.

Dianne

Hi Dianne
    I have lost all the info I wrote re sites twice whilst doing this - my own fault. If you click on my moniker top left hand of this message it will give you my home email address and then I will have recovered enough to do it all again. Meanwhile take a look at www.familysearch.org
    Type in Florence Dullaway, England and she is there in an IGI record. But be careful because this has been submitted without sources so has to be confirmed. However it gives you a head start with Florence's parents and siblings.
    There is also a family tree on line with the Dullaways very prominent in it.

Christina
    Last edited by christanel; 03-04-2008 at 5:36 AM. Reason: add info

janbooth

Default Florence DULLAWAY & Henry MAYLE

Hello and welcome Dianne,

This looks as if it could be Florence and family in the 1881 census of Croyden (transcribed as DALLAWAY on Ancestry):

RG11/811, folio 84, page 70
    4 Southsea Terrace

Thomas DULLAWAY Head Mar 43 Bricklayer Surrey Croyden
    Ann M do Wife Mar 38 Kent Brasted
    Thomas do Son Unm 18 Labourer Surrey Croyden
    Arthur R do Son 14 do do
    George A do Son 11 Scholar do do
    Charles W do Son 9 do do do
    Ada E do Daur 6 do do do
    Florence D? do Daur 4 do do do
    Albert E do Son 1 do do

Obtaining Florence's birth certificate as Christine has suggested will confirm whether this is the correct family.

If this is the correct family, there is a marriage registration on the GRO Index in the December qtr 1861 at Croyden reg district, vol 2a, page 267 of a Thomas DULLAWAY and a corresponding entry for an Ann CHILMAN. Obtaining this marriage certificate will then give you the name and profession of both fathers which will then get you to the next generation back.

Thomas DULLAWAY's father seems to have died pre 1851 as Thomas is living with widowed mother Jane in Croyden in both 1851/61 census records. However, he is still alive in the 1841 census of Croyden and his name is John and he is shown as a 55 yr old Labourer.

This looks like Harry and his family in the 1891 census of Croyden:

RG12/596, folio 145, page 48
    6 Zion Road

Harry MAILE Head M 35 Carpenter House Bedfordshire
    Sarah A do Wife M 35 Helston Northamptonshire
    Harry do Son 12 School Boy Peterboro do
    George W do Son 9 do Croyden Surrey
    Sara E do Daur 7 do Girl do do
    Charles do Son 4 Peterboro Northamptonshire

Again to take you one step backwards assuming this is the correct family, there is a marriage registration in the December qtr 1877 at Peterborough reg district, vol 3b, page 511 of a Harry MAILE and a corresponding entry for a Sarah Ann F RANDS.

This is just a taster to get you started but as you can see from the above records, your surnames are going to be spelled a variety of ways so when searching you do have to use a bit of lateral thinking. In the 1851/61 census records DULLAWAY is recorded as DELLAWAY and MAYLE is obviously also recorded as MAILE. It is a lot easier until pre-registration of births, marriages and burials. Registration records only started in Sept 1837 and, for most places, census records started in 1841 so prior to 1837 parish registers have to be consulted.

Hope this encourages you to become totally obssessed with and addicted to this wonderful hobby like so many of us on this Forum. If you do need any more help, do not hesitate to ask.

Janet

JAG98000

Hello Dianne,
    Hopefully, you're still using this website. My mother is your first cousin; her mother and your father were brother and sister. I have a lot of family history to share and have compiled an extensive family tree. I hope to hear from you.

hallo JAG9800, and a very warm welcome to BG. Dianne hasn't visited since 2008, but hopefully she has the same e- mail and your post will generate a notification of your message. You could also try clicking on her user name and sending a private message. In the meantime, make yourself at home and have a good look round the forum.

PS have also moved this from Introduce Yourself to the Surrey forum, as it has research info on it.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids