Temsley

Default LILY WHITELEY b 1891c

My Great Grandmother was Lily Whiteley and she married my Great Grandfather Walter Emsley, i am trying to save having to order thier marriage cert they marreid in 1914/15
    I need to find out Lily's parents to get past a brickwall.

Also when she died Walter married a Mary Whiteley no details of this marriage but his son my Great Uncle Eric married Joan Whiteley and they were supposed to be sisters i would like to find proof of this, and what relation to Lily were these 2 sisters.

Thanks in advance for any help

by the way the area is Bradford, although the Whiteleys could originate from Halifax

birdlip

Hi there,

just in case you do decide to order some certs after all, here is the marriage on freebmd;

Jun 1914 EMSLEY Walter/ WHITELEY Lily Halifax 9a 979

and Eric's birth, plus an older brother;

Sep 1915 EMSLEY John H WHITELEY Bradford 9b 244
    Dec 1921 EMSLEY Eric WHITELEY Bradford 9b 288

and this looks like Lily's birth;

Jun 1891 WHITELEY Lily Halifax 9a 519

Both parents names would be on here of course, including the mothers maiden name. You really need someone with access to the 1901 census, if you want to find Lily's parents without ordering any certs. I don't have a sub at the moment, sorry.

regards birdlip

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default 1901 census

hello!
    In 1901 I have found three Lily Whitley born in Halifax.

Born 1899 Parents William and Mary, Sisters Elizabeth 2 months Mary 4

Born 1894 Parents John and Sarah , Sisters Elizabeth 16 Mary 19

Born 1892 Parents John Jos. and Ellen, Sisters Ada 7 Hannah5 Amy 5

If you like the sound of any of these I am happy to give you the full details. There were numerous brothers also.

Marj.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Temsley View Post
    My Great Grandmother was Lily Whiteley and she married my Great Grandfather Walter Emsley, i am trying to save having to order their marriage cert they married in 1914/15
    I need to find out Lily's parents to get past a brickwall.
    I would recommend that it is better to go for the expense of a marriage certificate now, to put you on the right track, rather than follow guesses and hunchecs which may prove wrong and cost you more in the long term.

There are no short cuts to proper research.

The marriage certificate should name her father, comfirm her estimated year of birth and so help you to be sure that you find the right person in the 1901 census. Witnesses may well have been siblings, or other relations.

Temsley

I think i may have found her parents a John & Agnes Whiteley, oretty sure it will be them as they are the only Whiteleys in Bradford on the 1901 census.
    But to make sure 100% i will have to order the sertificate.

Thanks for your help

birdlip

I'm a bit confused now. I thought the Whiteleys were from Halifax, so isnt it likely be one of the families Dargie found?

Temsley

Quote Originally Posted by birdlip View Post
    I'm a bit confused now. I thought the Whiteleys were from Halifax, so isnt it likely be one of the families Dargie found?
    No mine are definetely from Bradford although previous to that i think they came from Halifax, this is why i have to make sure by ordering the marriage cert

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I recently bought the book 'The Tuttlebury Tales' from one of the secondhand shops on Charing Cross Road in London. It was published in 1898. Inside, someone has written 'Lily Whiteley Halifax'.

I wondered if this could be the relative you were researching?

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum, Simon.

I'm afraid that Temsley hasn't been on-forum for 11 years. However, they still show as a member - if their email address is the same one used for registration, they should get a message that someone has reply, and may return.

Thank you for sharing this.