harfin

Default Riverside Worker for J S Darwen

I have a James Hart who on joining up in 1915 gives his job as "Riverside Worker" for J S Darwen & Co, Red Star Wharf, Pritchards Road, Hackney. Would that job be similar to Waterside Worker i.e working on the docks?

The only such named road in London is indeed in Hackney, but that isn't that close to the River Thames. I guess the nearest big dockland area as the crow flies is that around Woolwich.

There is however a Wharf Place near Pritchards Rd, and the Regent Canal (I think is it's name) not far away.

I have Googled for the company to no avail. I even looked (unsuccessfully) at Companies House.

Anyone have any ideas of who / what J S Darwen did on Red Star Wharf?

I see that there is what appears to be a large fuel tank complex there, or are they Gasometers?

Any help much appreciated.

Alan

Mutley

It might be worth an email to this site, it mentions Hackney.
    Also says
    "Any places you think should be on this site? Let me know!
    Also info (however trivial) or stories/personal memories on any of the pictures would
    be appreciated"

https://www.derelictlondon.com/derelict_london_com.htm
    Click on Waterways

The pictures are interesting!

harfin

Ta muchly Muttley.
    (I always wanted to say that )

Nothing there that I've found of the company or the Regent Canal. I did find later some stuff from the Port Of London, about the canal, but nothing too detailed.

There was it seems a gas works at Beckton, but that's further down (closer to Limehouse) than Pritchard Road in Hackney.

Nothing on J S Darwen & Co though.

Thanks again
    Alan

harfin

Quote Originally Posted by harfin View Post
    . . . .Nothing on J S Darwen & Co though . . . .
    Seems that there is / was a company called J S Darwen & Co who were Paper & Cardboard manufacturers. Funny that Google didn't find them though

Alan

Mutley

Ta muchly Muttley.
    (I always wanted to say that )
    You're welcome.

I also searched on google but did not find anything. All I remember from around that area was Bow Creek. Does not help much.

However, there are so many old and disused wharfs on both the Thames and the local rivers. There does not seem to be a site that list them all.

I mentioned that link because the man has a lot of knowledge of the old places that are not listed on his site. He may just have a recollection. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Best of luck and please let us know if you find any more info.

harfin

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Best of luck and please let us know if you find any more info.

I have emailed the photographer. I'll let you know the outcome.

Alan

Mutley

Last edited by Mutley; 26-03-2008 at 10:13 PM. Reason: P.S. Lots of Paper Companies all along the river!!