SloopJB

Default Jarman vs Jarman

I am searching for any Bristol newspaper report of a custody hearing circa 1926, between Jarman vs Jarman.

My uncle had a Newspaper cutting but has lost it.

My father also told me about it.

The law on Divorce and Seperation changed at this time and cases were heard in regional courts and Woman's right inhanced.

My grandmother apparently was the first woman in Bristol ( possibly England ) to gain custody of her children.

Please I would welcome any advice or further information.

I wonder if anyone has access to a newspaper search engine which could give me a date and paper. Possibly Bristol Evening Post, but could be other papers.

This is an important social story as well as my family history.

Geoffers

If any of these cases relate to the suit, it will help to narrow down the search period for you. The papers themselves may possibly contain further useful detail.

Click on this link. (The search used was Jarman, 1920-1930, J77)

SloopJB

Geoffers

Thanks for this. Afraid none match. I firmly believe my grandparents were never divorced only seperated and the law case surrounded custody of the children.

Thanks for you help.

Geoffers

Presumably some form of Decree of Judicial Separation with agreement as to custody.

If you are after newspapers, you will either need the local record office, or the Colindale Library. In view of your location, the former would seem best.

SloopJB

Default Judicial Seperation

Jeoffers,

You seem to know the right terms to use.

Are there records on Judicial Seperations, perhaps indexed at the National Archives ??

Thanks for your good advice.

Geoffers

TNA has divorce records, but records for judicial separation will probably be held locally - see TNA's research guide