Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Claremont House

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    Glad we could help. It kept us out of mischief and off the streets...
    Too right, even here, it was bl***y cold last night.

Elley

Using the link that Sharon gave (thanks Sharon) I have found out that Claremont House is now 22 Prince of Wales Road Kentish Town.

Directories of the time gave no information that this address was used as a school. It is believed that it would be unusual for records of this type of school would still survive

I did try the LMA a while ago but I think I will give it another go now I can give the present address of what was Claremont House.

Thank-you everyone for your help and ideas.

Elley

Jan1954

Thanks for the update Elley. Here it is on today's map:

https://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.sr...app=newmap.srf

Maybe if someone is in that neck of the woods they could check it out - see if it's the original building.

Mutley

Thanks for the update.
    It says here it is a museum called Beardsmore Gallery.

https://www.myvillage.com/camden/arts...re_gallery.htm

There is a phone number - I know they won't have the old records but maybe they know something of the history of the building.

If it's original would there not be deeds of ownership or planning applications etc?

Elley

Thank-you for your replies Jan and Mutley.

Would you believe it this person that I am trying to find was the reason I started on this hobby years ago, before the internet. I do not think he wants to be found somehow I will not give up, although at times he does get pushed into the background for a while.

Elley

HI Ellen
    Are you still interested in Claremont House?
    Helpful though everyone was, I think they might have come up with a red herring!
    If your potential ancestor featured in the 1851 census as first described then this is nowhere near Prince of Wales Road. The map that someone kindly posted features Claremont Terrace on that road and, yes, there was a Claremont House on P of W Rd. YOUR Claremont House is sometimes listed as Fortess Terrace and sometimes Willow Walk (now Fortess Walk). This was certainly a school and was, at one point, called Claremont House Grammar School.
    The mysterious Toll House......go to:

https://mapco.net/stmaryle/stmaryle08b.htm

....find Fortess Terrace and Willow Walk. I expect the school was on the corner. Now follow Fortess Terrace all the way up to where it crosses Maiden Lane (now Brecknock Road and Dartmouth Park Hill). A Turnpike is another name for a Toll House.
    Have further details of Claremont House if still interested.
    Paul

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123