Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sheila1

Default Who was Mary MOWER?

I have a mystery in my research, my great grandmother was Sarah Ann TOWNER born 1846.Brighton.l have her birth certificate that states her mother was Mary MOWER. Sarah's Father was Richard TOWNER born about 1813/17 Tidemills.Bishopstone.Sussex. All relevant census searches (after 1846)after Sarah was born, shows Richard married to a Sarah Moore, obviously his second wife,married in 1847.
    But l can not find anything on Mary MOWER,where she was born?where she came from? where she died?or even where she married Richard?
    If any one has any info or suggestions l could try,l would appreciate very much.
    Best Regards
    Sheila1

birdlip

Hi Sheila, this is really interesting.

On Familyhistoryonline, there is the following;

Bap 30 Aug 1846, SARAH ANN TOWNER daughter, parents RICHARD and SARAH TOWNER, Occ: Labourer, Abode: Every Place, Brighton St Nicholas.
    Also on the same date, same parents, occupation and address; MARY ANN TOWNER.

Can you confirm this is the same Sarah Ann, ie same fathers occupation and address? Is it possible the clerk misheard and wrote MOWER for MOORE on the certificate? Sarah may have been known as Mary, or vice versa.

...and earlier, at Bishopstone;
    06 Oct 1825 CHARLOTTE TOWNER daughter, RICHARD and SARAH TOWNER, Occ: Gardener Abode ------ , Bishopstone St Andrew.
    31 May 1828 WILLIAM TOWNER son, same details
    29 Mar 1830 ALDRED TOWNER son, same details.

If you think it possible this is the same family, it certainly looks as though they didn't marry until 1847.

regards birdlip

Sheila1

Default MOWER

Hi Birdlip.
    Thanks for your reply.
    Sarah was born in IVORY COURT, not Every Place.

The Richard and Sarah you quoted was, my Sarah's grandfather.
    Father and son were both called Richard. The family did come from .Tidemills.Bishopstone.

Sheila1

Mortlake, London (where the Boat Race ends)

Not sure that this will help much, but MOWER is a very common Suffolk name. It is one of the names that I am researching - and Mary appears to have been a very popular firstname!!

birdlip

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila1 View Post
    Hi Birdlip.
    Thanks for your reply.
    Sarah was born in IVORY COURT, not Every Place.

The Richard and Sarah you quoted was, my Sarah's grandfather.
    Father and son were both called Richard. The family did come from .Tidemills.Bishopstone.

Sheila1
    Oh Bother!

Mortlake, London (where the Boat Race ends)

Default Mary's Death

There is a death of a Mary TOWNER in June 1847 in Brighton (June 1847 Brighton 7 214).

Is that her?

SueinSussex

Hello, my thoughts on this

Mary Ann Towner is born in 1843 - Sarah Mary Moore is her mother and Richard Towner her father.

Sarah Ann is born 3 years later in 1846 father Richard, mother - you beleive the birth certificate reads Mary Mower - this is three years after Mary Ann's birth.

"On Familyhistoryonline, there is the following;
    Bap 30 Aug 1846, SARAH ANN TOWNER daughter, parents RICHARD and SARAH TOWNER, Occ: Labourer, Abode: Every Place, Brighton St Nicholas.
    Also on the same date, same parents, occupation and address; MARY ANN TOWNER."

Richard marries Sarah Moore in 1847

Richard and Sarah are together with the children in 1851

Sarah Towner, Richards wife - Death from Free BMD - Towner Sarah - age 74 - DecQ 1895 - Brighton RD - 2b 148

I don't think there is any evidence to support the existance of Mary Mower, I beleive as birdlip says you either have a badly written cert or the registrar mishead Mower for Moore, he may also have misheard Mary for Sarah or she used both names.

Reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking along the same lines as Sue.

Also I'm not convinced that Ivory Court and Every Place are necessarily different places.

SUSSEXDER

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    I'm thinking along the same lines as Sue.

Also I'm not convinced that Ivory Court and Every Place are necessarily different places.
    I also think the same as Peter, Also Richard married Twice.!

IGI Individual Record Family Search International Genealogical Index v5.0
    Marriages. Richard Towner/ Spouse Martha Purdew Family
    Marriage 14 June 1840 Saint Nicholas Church Brighton Sussex England.

Also, The Baptism of Daughter Caroline.
    IGI Individual Record Family Search Internatioal Genealogical Index v5.0
    Caroline Towner/ Female .(Events) Christening/13 May 1838 St Nicholas Church Brighton sussex England.
    Parents; Richard Towner, Mother Martha.

And here is Martha's probable; Death from Free BMD.
    Towner Martha Death June 1841 Brighton, 7 164.

As Sue says Richard Towner married Sarah Mary Moore, (second Wife)
    2 May 1847 Saint Nicholas Church Brighton Sussex.

Thats what I have found.
    Sussexder.

Sheila1

Default MOWER/TOWNER

Well you are all probalbly right, l was just going on what was on the birth certficate. It could have been a missinterpritation of the Sussex lingo.
    Mooore or Mower. Bless them most couldn't read or write, and the enumerator
    wasn't much better. My family have given me quite a run around.but they have taught me a lot on the way.Life was very hard in those days,BUT they all survived.
    Sheil1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast