Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default ADELINA DE LARA- CONCERT PIANIST- CRAWCOUR FAMILY LINKS

Adelina De Lara the famous concert pianist is related to my Crawcour lines via her maternal grandmother Sarah Abigail Cohen Crawcour and her husband David Laurent De Lara c1806-76 from Amsterdam. In addition, Sarah c 1804-79 was the daughter of Isaac Crawcour and Simha Cohen De Lara ( her parents were Abraham and Mary).
    David De Lara and Sarah had 5 children- Simharia,Alfred, Rachel, Anne, Hannah.
    Anne De Lara was both a vocalist and pianist who married Joseph Laurence when she was 16. He was a solicitor but left her and her children destitute. Anne married George Matthew Tilbury c 1839-1883 ( he was also known as George Preston an engraver). Their daughter Lottie Adelian Preston b 1872 adopted her mother's maiden name Adelina De Lara and began a musucal career but her father died age 43 and her mother Anne died one week later leaving Adelina and two very young siblings. Interestingly in Adelina's memoir ' Finale' she describes her maternal grandmother as 'a Polish Jewess of the name Cracour, that of an important Polish military family who lived in Kracow, in that part of Poland then under Austrian rule'.

Samuel Crawcour b 1748 d 1816 ( my 5 x great grandfather) the father of Isaac Crawcour was an apothecary/surgeon dentist who arrived in England circa 1760s- the name Crawcour ( also spelt Cracour ) is derived from Kracow Poland.

If any researchers are interested in further details egarding the lines they are welcome to contact me.
    Phillip

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Another descendant of Adelina de Lara

Hi, I was researching Adelina de Lara as I couldn't remember her eldest sister's name, and came across this letter. I too am a descendant of hers, her great-granddaughter. Her son Denis Eward Bernard Kingston-Shipwright was my grandfather.

Denis's son, my father, was also a musician, a fine singer, as was (reportedly) his mother, Denis's first wife Kate Hain. For most of my professional life I too have been a musician (singer and song writer), as are my brother and several cousins, and I have one particular great-niece who is an extraordinary talent at the piano! So the gene lives on...

I'm also particularly alert to family history at the moment as, on my father's side, his uncle Capt. Edward Hain was just honoured by being the soldier whose image was drawn in the sand at St. Ives, Cornwall as part of Danny Boyle's Armistice Day "Pages of the Sea" centenary event. My brother and I were both there with 2 of our cousins, so family history is at the forefront of our consciousness at the moment!

All best to whoever's reading, Kit Grindstaff, née Hain

Hi Kit
    It's good to hear from a distant relative. I wrote this message 10 years ago. My Uncle Ted remembered Adelina visiting( probably my grandmother or 2x great grandmother Amelia Hart 1841-1928) and playing the piano when he was a young boy. Ted died a few years ago in his 90s. My distant cousin Patrick Coppel in Melbourne and I researched Adelina and our Crawcour lines in great detail and we have a very large data base( including you) on the lines worldwide. My direct line is via David Crawcour who died 1882 St Helier Jersey my 4x great grandfather and youngest son of Samuel Crawcour 1748-1816.

I may well post more on Thomas Johnson Shipwright and the lines.
    Very best wishes

Phillip

I wrote a very brief post some years ago headed Hannah de Lara and Henry Russell. This line relates to my own Crawcour/Hart lines and in the case of Sir Landon Ronald Russell 1873-1938 he was a 1st cousin to Adelina De Lara. I have also explored the Henry Russell line in some detail because of his connection to both of my 2 separate Hart lines who married into each other.
    Phillip

This post is the initial part of future data and records on the family relationships between the famous Victorian musician and song writer Henry Russell and his first wife Isabella Lloyd and their daughter also Isabella aka Isabel who married John aka Isaac Davies aka Davis. My research will also include data on John aka Isaac Davis aka Davies son of David Davies aka Davis and Ann Crawcour.
    The research will show that the Davis aka Davies family was closely related to Henry Russell through the marriage of his daughter Isabella to John aka Isaac Davies and in addition through John's mother Ann Crawcour to Hannah De Lara who married Henry Russell.
    Ann Crawcour b circa 1802 was the daughter of Isaac Crawcour and Simha Cohen de Lara. Anne's sister Sarah Abigail Crawcour b circa 1804 was the daughter also of Isaac and Simha. Sarah married David Laurent Cohen De Lara in 1828.

To add to the interrelationships between the Crawcour/De Lara/Russell lines both my two separate paternal Hart lines married into the Davis/Davies and the Crawcour lines. Amelia Hart daughter of John Hart/Elizabeth Jacobs married Maurice Davies son of David Davis/Davies and Ann Crawcour. John Hart/Elizabeth Jacobs being my 3x great grandparents.
    In addition, Henry Chapman Hart brother of Amelia married Amelia Hart daughter of Aaron Hart and Ann Rebecca Crawcour- my 2nd and 3rd great grandparents respectively. Ann aka Rebecca Crawcour was the daughter of David Crawcour died 1882 my x4 great grandfather and brother of Isaac, Ann and Sarah Crawcour the children of Samuel Crawcour 1748-1816 my 5x great grandfather.
    Catherine aka Kate Crawcour daughter of John Hart/Elizabeth Jacobs had also married Abraham Crawcour.

All of the above data is relevant to Adeline de Lara aka Preston aka Tilbury because of the relationship and marriage of Hannah de Lara to Henry Russell and not least because of the shared Crawcour relationship I have with Adeline.

I will post further on the Laurence aka Lawrence/Tilbury/Russell and other lines because the data on the lines has been unclear and not fully recognised.

Phillip

The data and information on Adelina De Lara should be read in conjunction with previous threads on the various lines:
    Abraham Cohen de Lara d 1829 London 24.5.2011 see #18 and onwards in particular; Maurice Davies-Amelia Hart 22.4.2013; Hannah De Lara and Henry Russell 29.8.2009; Amelia Hart 1843-1907-Davies-Wileman-Coopman 28.4.2018 and the numerous Crawcour and Jacobs posts.

In the previous post I wrote about the marriage of John aka Isaac Davies aka Davis to Isabella Russell the daughter of Henry Russell and Isabella Lloyd.

As will be shown, there appears to have been a 'falling out' between the Davis and the executors of Moses Crawcour will which referred to John aka Isaac Davis/Davies and a bequest.
    The Law Journal Reports 1862 ( see online Google Books) refers to the Court case Davis v Angel in 1862. Angel was Moses Angel Headmaster of the Jew's Free School who had married Rebecca Godfrey daughter of Godfrey Levy aka Levy Godfrey and a Crawcour (I will post the link to previous threads on the lines).
    Moses Crawcour 1781-1858 was the son of Samuel Crawcour 1748-1816 and Rebecca and a very close friend of Moses Angel.
    In his will Moses Crawcour had stated that one part of his residuary estate should be held in trust for his nephew Isaac Davis son of David and Ann Davis in case he should marry Moses niece Esther Godfrey.. in case the said I Davis did not marry Esther then the bequest would not take effect. On the 13 June 1857 Isaac aka John Davis aka Davies married Isabella Russell.

The Davis sought to have the bequest honoured but the Court rejected the case.

I will post on Isaac/John Russell.

Phillip

In my previous post I stated that I would provide further data on Isaac/John Davis aka Davies and Isabella Russell. I will post later on in this thread. However, for the moment I have been reviewing the comment by Adelina De Lara in her book 'Finale' that her father Joseph Lawrence was a solicitor.
    I have looked at the UK Articles of Clerkship 1756-1874 and see no evidence that he was articled or ever became a solicitor. Indeed on the GRO Marriage Certificate for Joseph Lawrence and Anne De Lara he is a Commission Agent:
    Parish Church St.Andrew Holborn Middlesex
    19 May 1857
    Joseph LAWRENCE Bachelor Gentleman Bedford Street Bedford Row -father John Lawrence
    Anne de LARA spinster full age no occupation Parish of St George Bloomsbury-father David De Lara Gentleman
    Witnesses Charles George Brett; Rachel de Lara;Charles Richards

The 1861 Census shows:
    RG9 103 124 20 (Copyright TNA)
    26 Burton Street Tottenham Middlesex
    Joseh LAWRENCE H M 28 Commission Agent b Lincs Grantham
    Ann wife 32 vocalist b Middx St George
    Sarah A dau 2 b Middx St Martins
    David D son 5 months b Middx St Pancras

The 1851 Census provides data on what sort of Commission Agent Joseph might have been:
    HO107 1499 454 30 (Crown Copyright TNA)
    2 Upper Brunswick Terrace Islington
    Elizabeth Groom H Widow 64 fundholder b Derbyshire Walton
    Wlliam J Son 30 warehouseman Hosiery b Middx Bloomsbury
    JOSEPH LAWRENCE U 18 Wholesale Bookseller b Grantham Lincolnshire

I will post further data which suggests that Joseph Lawrence father was John Lawrence a Sexton.

Phillip

Rootsweb November 2008 -Lawrence and De Lara Middlesex has a range of posts relating to the Lawrence and De Lara line.
    The 1841 Census (Copyright TNA) HO107 6251 27 2
    Alm Lane Grantham Lincolnshire
    John Lawrence 45 Sexton born in county
    Joseph Lawrence 8
    John Lawrence 6
    Charles Lawrence 1
    All born in county

1851 (Copyright TNA) HO107 2103 264 22
    North Street Little Gonerby Grantham Lincs
    John Lawrence H M 55 Sexton b Grantham
    Ellen wife 49 b Grimsby
    John Henry son 16 teacher b Grantham
    Charles son 11 b Grantham
    +1 servant

1861 (Copyright TNA)
    RG9 2351 67 1
    4 North Street Manthorpe Cum Little Gonerby Grantham Lincs
    John Lawrence H N 65 Apparitor and Sexton b Grantham
    Ellen wife 62 b Grimsby
    John Lawrence grandson 3 b Bayswater Middx
    +1 servant

I will post on Joseph Lawrence/Anne de Lara further.

Phillip

I am aware that there is a Hain family tree on Ancestry.Com in the Public domain. This tree contains a range of data on the lines but is incomplete regarding some of the associated lines through marriages. In this thread I will fill in some missing gaps based on my current research and the records available.
    By 1871 Anne aka Annie aka Ann Lawrence was living with her parents and recorded as a widow. There is a GRO Death Index record for a Joseph Lawrence June qtr 1870 age 37 Grantham 7a 267.

I have not seen a copy of this certificate nor does it appear in on the Hain family tree or data base. It would useful to obtain the record to confirm whether or not it does show the death of Joseph Lawrence husband of Anne.
    1871 Census RG10 339 4 1 (Copyright TNA)
    3 Torrington Square St.George Bloomsbury
    David Laurence De Lara H M 64 Illuminating artist to the Queen b Amsterdam Holland
    Sarag wife 65 b London
    Annie Laurence dau widow 31 Musician b London
    Sarah dau 12 b London
    David son 9 b London
    Penelope dau 4 b London
    +1 servant

I will post later on the children born with parents Joseph and Anne but Penelope Jane Lawrence b 10 May 1865 was baptised Canwick 2 Sept 1866.

By 1881 Adelina aka Lottie had been born and is recorded with her parents George and Anne aka Anna:
    I will post later the full reference for the census- (Crown Copyright TNA)
    73 Spring Hill Birmingham Warwickshire
    George TILBURY HM 42 Engraver b Middx London
    Anna wife 39 Professor of Music b Middx London
    Helen dau 20 Engraver's daughter b Middx London
    Penelope dau 14 Engraver's dau b Middx London
    LOTTIE dau 8 scholarb Cumberland Carlisle

Currently, I have not seen a marriage record between George Tilbury and Anne.

George Tilbury had married Ann Newell FULTON in 1857- GRO Marriage Index Oct qtr 1857 Hampshire 2c 65- George Matthew Tilbury-Ann Newell Fulton

They appear in the 1861 Census:
    RG9 77 114 30
    30 Adam..? Street Marylebone Middlesex
    George M TILBURY H M 25 Heraldic Engraver b Hampshire Southampton
    Ann N wife 24 b Gloucestershire C..??
    Frank W son 3 b Hampshire
    Percy A son 1 b Middx Pimlico
    Rodney G son 1 mth b Marylebone

I will post further on George Matthew Tilbury with his parents and siblings.

Phillip

The 1851 Census record appears to include George Matthew Tilbury with his parents and siblings:
    1851 (Crown Copyright TNA)HO107 1669 55 8
    30 Mortham Street Southampton Hampshire
    William Tilbury H M 48 Policeman b Hants Micheldover
    Sarah wife 43 b Hants Weston
    William J son 20 ? assistant b Kent Woolwich
    Jane dau 16 Dress Maker b Hants North Waltham
    GEORGE M son 13 Errand boy b Southampton

William and Sarah Tilbury appear in the 1861 Census but William is no longer a Policeman:

1861 Census (Copyright TNA) RG9 674 127 28
    43 Mortham Street Southampton Hampshire
    William Tilbury H M 58 Store keeper ( Oil Stocks) b Hants Mickleclever
    Sarah wife 53 b Hants Woolston

More data to follow.

Phillip

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast