Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    helen57

Default Jane Laws of Godmanchester

Hi everyone

I have a with Jane Laws born about 1828 in Godmanchester, Huntingdonshire

I know she married William Huskinson, and have found a marriage in Lincolnshire in 1847. It's the only one I could find but not sure whether, or not, to buy the certificate (have to watch the pennies ).

But I cannot find any information on her parents, and have no idea where to look. Can any one help me please?

Regards to all who read this

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi Helen,

There is an extracted record on the LDS site. Jane Laws christened 13-12-1829 Godmanchester, father John Laws, mother Maryann.
    Julie

helen57

Thanks Julie

Please excuse my ignorance (only been on the internet a few months) but what is the LDS site? I am still in the early stages of learning htese places

Regards Helen

davidcarca

There's no marriage of John Law(s) and Maryann on Hunts Marriage Index, so presumably they were from out of the county.

There are no Law(s) burials in Godmanchester after 1800, nor can I see the family in 1841

All in all, not a succesful morning so far!

But....

There were two Law families in Godmanchester c1810 -

- William & Susan who baptised Thomas on 16 Sep 1811 (born 31 Jul 1810)
    - Edward and Ann née Towry who baptised Frances Henrietta on 3 May 1812 (born 11 Feb 1812).

I notice that Jane's eldest daughter was Henrietta and whilst it may just be coincidence I wonder if her father John may have been connected to Edward and Ann. And I can't find anything more about Edward!

David

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi Helen,

Heres a link to the LDS site (Latter Day Saints/Family Search)

https://www.familysearch.org/ENG/default.asp

This is a good site , but be carefull of submitted records as they could be based on guess work. I've been caught out on this and was put right by another member on this forum.
    Julie

helen57

Thanx David,

Your delving has opened up some new avenues for me to explore

I have looked on 1941 & 1951 census but can't find John & Maryann, will have another try with variant spellings.
    Jane & William Huskinson I know had Frank in 1871 in Boonfield Peterborough (I have a copy of his birth certificate, kindly donated by my aunt )

Regards Helen

helen57

Thanx Julie I will give it a go

Reputation beyond repute

If you're a beginner, I would strongly recommend a trip to your local library to look out some beginners' guides to genealogy.

There are some recommended online beginners' guides such as https://www.genuki.org.uk/gs/ and https://www.genuki.org.uk/gs/Newbie.html

I see someone has pointed you in the direction of the FamilySearch site. There are many many health warnings associated with this site which needs to be used with a lot of caution. There are several threads about it on this site. Remember that nothing on that site should be treated as a substitute for checking the original records yourself.

You mentioned an 1847 marriage. Yes, you should get the certificate. There is no substitute for original, definitive, official paper records. I would strongly advise you never to by-pass original sources in favour of secondary sources which by their nature are less reliable.

helen57

Thanx Peter

Having been on LDS I found a marriage for John Laws & Mary Ann Robinson in Lincolnshire, that might explain why Jane was in that area. I will certainly get the marriage certificate now to verify my thoughts

Regards Helen

helen57

Default Jane Laws more questions than answers

I received the marriage certificate of Jane Laws and William Huskinson this morning

Not sure that it is much help though

Both William and Jane were Minors so have no age to help verify them with the later census dates.
    Janes father is noted as John Laws (which fits)
    Williams father is noted as Henry Huskinson
    The witnesses are John Taylor and Mary Ann York.

Did witnesses of marriages have to be known to those getting married?

And as they were both 'minors' did they both need parental consent to get married?

Helen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast