Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Loves to help with queries Pandad's Avatar

Default Marriage Lookup - John VIDLER & Louisa AUSTIN

I am unpicking a legal document about land/property transfer and trying to establish if I have the correct family.

The document states - Louisa READ, wife of William READ, widow of John VIDLER , sister to Ann RICHARDSON and brother to Albert AUSTIN, plus a few other connections as well. If my thinking is correct, John VIDLER b. Ticehurst 1807, married Louisa AUSTIN b. Battle 1814/16, before 1841. They appear in the 1841 census, in the same household, John is recorded aged 34 and Louisa aged 27 (possible correct ages recorded in 1841 census).

I have found the marriage for William READ to Louisa VIDLER in 1853, so my assumption seems to going along the right lines.

I have checked FreeBMD and GRO indexes from 1837 to 1842 for a marriage of John VIDLER and Louisa AUSTIN, without a match for the pair.

Would very much appreciate a marriage lookup in the Sussex Marriage Index for John VIDLER & Louisa AUSTIN to confirm the maiden name of Louisa along with any other details that may be provided.

Jane M

I've checked the SMI for the marriage under John Vidler & Austin (in case she was known by another name other than Louisa) but nothing. Also checked Pallots but again nothing. Also checked Familyhistoryonline...zilch. It's as if they didn't marry

The IGI has a possible baptism for Louisa (extracted) Louisa Austen 1/1/1815, Mayfield d/o John & Mary. Mayfield being adjacent to Ticehurst & a couple of parishes away from Battle where she says she was born in the 1851 census.

I noticed in the 1841 census that there is an Ellen Austen born Ssx aged 18 living with them in Ticehurst, also they don't appear to have any children.

Have you looked under a different spelling in the full GRO indexes, possibly John VITLER?

Seems to be a bit of a mystery,

Jane

David Annis

Louisa Austin.
    Married. 12th Aug, 1837. Mayfield. Sussex.
    Husband. Henry Beale
    Wifes Father. John Austin.
    Cheers.
    Dave

Thanks for that Jane, much appreciate your efforts. Back to the melting pot again.

It does seem strange that they don't appear to be 'registered' as married, after clearly stating on a public document 'widow of John VIDLER'. The possibility exists that they married outside Sussex, but that seems unlikely, as they both come from Sussex, but you never know.

Just looked up the death of John VIDLER and Mar/1852/Ticehurst/2b/45 looks the best candidate. The best candidate for the Louisa and William READ marriage is Sept/1853/Ticehurst/2b/141, so she did not waste anytime getting hitched again.

Rod

Jane M

Rod, that's the death I found for John Vidler also, so yes, she didn't waste much time Noticed that John Vidler was an innkeeper so probably had a bob or two. Kent would be a good alternative as the parishes being talked about are in that direction. What was the document in question & is there a date on it?
    I'm off to have another look around so I'l get back to should I find anything,

Jane

Jane M

Rod, There's a will for John Vidler, Publican of Ticehurst Sussex 19/5/1852 on the TNA site. So looks like that's the right death registration for him. Might be worth coughing-up 3 pounds 50 p for a download. If you need the link let me know,

Jane

Thanks for that David, but I don't think that is the one.

I forgot to add in my first post that I also found John and Louisa VIDLER in the 1851 census in Ticehurst. They are recorded as head and wife and reside in Flimwell, Hare & Hounds, and John's occupation is Inn Keeper and Farmer. They have no children recorded but have Charlotte AUSTIN, neice, 14, Servant, born Battle residing with them. That provides another connection to the AUSTIN family.

In the 1861 for Ticehurst, in the Hare & Hounds, you will find William and Louisa READ, Inn Keeper's, along with William & Ann RICHARDSON, the other individuals mentioned in the legal document. Looks like their marriage is Sep/1843/Battle/7/309 - William RICHARDSON & Ann AUSTIN.

All these little bits and bobs make me think I am on the right trail. Would just like to confirm that VIDLER marriage to set it all in concrete.

Jane M

Rod, I'm curently browsing through the Access to Archives (A2A) for VIDLER & AUSTIN/AUSTEN & it's throwing up some interesting documents. I think you might be familiar with it as there seems to be the document you're refering to briefly mentioned?
    In my mind I feel they DID marry, it's just not been found. They might have gone up to London to have a more swanky wedding?

Jane

The Document in question: I am doing this research on the behalf of another researcher across the pond who has a link into my family. So don't worry about the top line on the document.

You can all now work out if I am on the right line

Quote Originally Posted by Jane M View Post
    Rod, There's a will for John Vidler, Publican of Ticehurst Sussex 19/5/1852 on the TNA site. So looks like that's the right death registration for him. Might be worth coughing-up 3 pounds 50 p for a download. If you need the link let me know,

Jane
    Thanks for that Jane. I think me, and my research friend across the pond, would appreciate that, and is well worth the £3.50.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast