Question William Gorringe = Sarah Thatcher in Glynde 1804/05

Hi,

I am trying to trace the whereabouts of my 4x Great Grandfather, William Gorringe, born 1767 in Ringmer, who originally married Hannah Jenner in East Grinstead in 1791, settled in Ringmer in 1792, and had their first child, William (jnr) 1792, then sadly Hannah died late 1792. It appears from a will that William born in 1767 died before 1829 (God knows where!!), but after his first wife died, he married (or lived in sin!!) and had a further two children, one boy and one girl, no names (that would be too easy to research, wouldn't it!!)

I believe that my William Gorringe may have married a lady called Sarah Thatcher, in Glynde either 1804/5. Does anyone want to claim this marriage?!, does anyone have this couple in their tree?!! Does anyone know anything about this couple that they would like to share with me please?

I am trying to eliminate all deaths of any William Gorringe in either Sussex or Kent, so if anyone knows of any deaths between 1792 and 1829 in either county, please let me know.

Many thanks for any help there may be.

Look forward to your results.

Regards,

Carol

Davran

Family History Online has the following:

1. George William GORRINGE found in Brighton Burials 1 entry in Sussex during 1852
    2. William GORRINGE found in Sussex Burials 14 entries in Sussex between 1624 and 1898
    3. William GORRINGE found in 1 entry in Sussex during 1853
    4. William Canfield GORRINGE found inSussex Burials 1 entry in Sussex during 1837
    5. William George GORRINGE found in Sussex Burials 1 entry in Sussex during 1853
    6. William Pennington GORRINGE found in Sussex Burials 1 entry in Sussex during 1893

It might be worth investing in some credits to have a look.

Keep an eye on Sussex Online Parish Clerks. They have a very limited number of GORRINGE burials, but not yours at present:
    Last edited by Guest; 10-03-2008 at 6:14 PM. Reason: removed links

Jane M

Hi Carol,
    I can confirm William's second marriage, from the Sussex Marriage Index;
    Glynde, East Sussex, Date: 5 Nov 1804:
    William GORRINGE
    Sarah THATCHER, botp (B)

In case you don't have confirmation of his first;

East Grinstead, West Sussex, 5 Jun 1791:
    William GORRINGE
    Hannah JENNER, botp (B)

jane

Jane M

Hi Jane,

Many thanks for coming back to me so fast. I am pleased you have found this entry, can you tell me what the capital B stands for after both of this parish please? On the down side however, I have no proof that this is MY William Gorringe, but am hanging onto a thin thread and praying!!!!!!!!

Are you from the Sussex area? Are you able to find out whether there are any children of this marriage from the records you have? I know that there was a boy and girl born to the second "liason", and have for years now been desperate to find out who he married and the names of the two children.

I can remember looking through the parish records at Lewes for the Glynde area, and didn't find any children, which makes me wonder, (a) whether this is my William, or (b) whether the couple moved to another area and had the children!

Strangely enough, this William's son William, married a Sarah, how ironic!! but how confusing is this! Do you enjoy challenges?!!!!

Look forward to hearing from you again soon, and thank you again for your help. Oh, one other question, does it say that William was a widower?

Regards,

Carol

Hi Carol,
    Replying to your PM here so that other B-G members can follow & perhaps contribute.
    The (B) means that the marriage was by banns rather than by licence.
    I gave the full content of both marriages so it didn't state whether William was a widower.
    Looking at the IGI on Familysearch, there's a Charles Gorringe attributed to a William & Sarah Gorringe, 1804, Brighton but it's member submitted so VERY iffy.
    I noticed a William Pennington Gorringe on the list of burials given by Davran. On the Marriage Index this name occurs through many generations & the IGI gives mention of a William Pennington Gorringe as having been baptised in 1792, Westham s/o J. Gorringe & Sarah (extracted record) so there were two William Gorringe's knocking about who were born about the same time.
    Can you give us brief details as to how you've traced back to this William, your information sources etc. Anymore details from this will.... when was it written & when was it proved & where does he say he was from?
    I'll try to back onto this later today,

Jane

Jane M

Carol, there are several people researching the same name on the Sussex Family History Group. You might like to contact them?

Jane

Jane M

Carol, more info on the Gorringe family. Below is Ringmer land tax.

https://www.ringmer.info/rhsg/names/landtax.htm

These are some poor law records.

https://sussexrecordsociety.org/pllis...=&ap=&Id=61966

I see you've resurrected this query from 2004 & I made a contribution to your request. Don't give up

Jane

Smile William Gorringe = Sarah Thatcher in Glynde

Hi Jane,

I was going to say that I had once before posted this message, but couldn't remember when this was! So the story is on the message left in 2004. The will was written by William Gorringe, born in Ringmer in 1745, and yes, he was well into his eighties when he wrote it and then subsequently died. The will was sent to me by another Gorringe researcher some years ago, this was found in the County records office in Lewes. The will was written in 1829, when William senior was 84, and proved I believe in either Ringmer or Glynde in 1835, when William was nearly ninety. Sadly for me, I have been in contact with the Gorringe researchers that appear on the web site, but none are researching my line.

I also spoke to a Ringmer historian, John Kay, who told me that William junior, born in 1792 was in the local workhouse in 1801, and worked on the land, for which he was paid a pittance! I wondered at the time why William junior was in the workhouse, because I knew his Fathers family were quite extensive, and thought perhaps he might have been looked after by one of his aunts or uncles!! It may have been that his Father (William born 1767) could not cope with a small child, or the new women in his Fathers life didn't like him!

I am sure that the Pennington Gorringe's are not my line, as I have research information that proves this.

As mentioned in the will back in the message posted in 2004, William born in 1745, wrote ......

"I leave to my late son's three children, two boys and a girl etc, etc, etc ", so we can assume from this that William born in 1767 died before the will was written in 1829. Now, I have this thought in my mind that William born in 1745, lived and worked in Glynde at some stage, because I am sure I read a report that he was a game keeper, and a very good shot! and was well noted for this in the area, so when I found the marriage of a William Gorringe as marrying a Sarah Thatcher in Glynde in November 1804, I thought how well it would sit in my research!!I know that is a terrible thing to say, but when you are as desperate as I am to find these people, you hold onto anything!!

Let me know if you can help any further, this line of enquiry has been bugging me now for some years, and yes, I will never give up, that is one of my strengths.

Many thanks again for your help.

Carol

Jane M

Mmmmm I see your problem. So, you can't be sure that it's your William (1767) that married Sarah Thatcher after the death of Hannah?
    Here are marriages from the SMI that might be alternative to the Thatcher marriage. I've not included Willimam Pennington or one's that give the groom's marital status as bachelor.

Barcombe, East Sussex, 27 Dec 1803:
    William GORINGE
    Elizabeth ELPHICK, botp (B)

Hartfield, East Sussex, 3 Sep 1804:
    William GORRINGE, otp
    Elizabeth CORK, otp (B)

Withyham, East Sussex, 8 Nov 1814:
    William GORRINGE, otp
    Sophia MILES, Hartfield

I presume this marriage to be his son, William 1792 ?

Hollington, East Sussex, 25 Dec 1816:
    William GORRANGE
    Sarah HARMER, botp (B)

The A2A site gives a Removal Order from East Grinstead to Ringmer 4/7/1791 for William Gorringe & wife, Hannah. So that must be William 1767. Obviously a poor family so chances are they had to stay in Ringmer.

Again from A2A, this looks like the son, William (1792) a Removal Order from Hastings St. Mary back to Ringmer. William Gorringe & wife, Sarah & children, William (5) 1818, Hannah (4) 1819 & Mary Ann (2) 1821. 20/1/1823. So good fortune hadn't smiled on the son as they are still getting sent back to Ringmer!

Jane