Dorothy

Default Catherine McKinnon

Catherine was b. 1843 in Inverness -shire but I don't know exactly where or who her parents were. She married my G grandmother's brother, George Hugh Melville of West Helmsdale, in Newcastle , N.S.W., Australia on July 7th 1863 and died in Petersham on Dec. 31st 1929. Their children were Jeanine, George Hugh , Florence, John and another female who died.
    There are some Catherines on the IGI but details were missing and these were registered by LDS members.
    I'd appreciate any help in finding out her background.
    Cheers,
    Dorothy on Vancouver Island.

Davran

Looking at the 1851 census for Scotland, there are about 5 Catherine McKinnons of the right age in Inverness, so I think you really need to get hold of a copy of her marriage certificate, which should give you at least her father's name (probably Donald judging by the census index!) and occupation.

I'm not sure how you go about obtaining an Australian certificate, but if you post a request in that forum, I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Dorothy

Red face Catherine McKinnon

A MELVILLE researcher in Australia ,who is not on the Net unfortunately, told me the date and place of her marriage but neither her exact birthplace nor parents were on the registration and the church register is missing so he couldn't check there. Only the father's details were on the birth certificate of their son- George Hugh MELVILLE .He had thought that George Hugh was from his MELVILLE branch as did others in Sutherland but when they saw his parents and birthplace they agreed he was from my branch of the family.
    He's going to send me more info. on the family which he has researched , when I reply to his long letter.