Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Names so far

Delphinus

Default My Names so far

Hi, I am hoping that somebody may be able to help me, I am looking for my 2x great grandfather John Corkill and all I know about him was he was born on the Isle of Man in about 1856c he married my 2x Great Grandmother Elizabeth Reading in 1878 in Barrow in Furness I know all about him from the marriage to the 1901 census I just need to find his birth, when he was in Barrow he was a Baker and Confectioner and also employed people.

I am also know his father was also called John, Corkill which could have had an H in as well Corkhill.The father was noted on the marriage certificate of John and Elizabeth as a farmer.

I am also finding it very hard to find his wife Elizabeth Reading's birth certificate she was born in about 1855c in Shirley Warwickshire I also know all about her until the 1901 census. Her father Thomas Reading on her marriage certificate to John Corkill he was noted as being a Butcher.

I have looked at all the births of Elizabeth Reading's in Warwickshire but can not find one whoose father is called Thomas.

I have not been able to go to the Isle of Man yet but I have looked at the 1861 census and have found a few John Corkill's whoose father was also John but as I have know idea where on the island they lived I don't know how to start.

Many thanks
    Delphinus

Jan1954

Elizabeth in 1871:

RG10/4245/49

Goodness knows what the street is called but they lived at number 6, in Dalton, Barrow.

Thomas Reading, Head, Wid, 42, Gas Works *** ?, b Warwickshire
    William Reading, son, unm, 21, Ironmonger's Assistant, b Birmingham
    Elizabeth Reading, dau, unm, 15, Housekeeper, b Solihull
    G (could be George?) Reading, son, unm, 14, Labourer, b Solihull

There is a Shirley in Solihull.

Elizabeth in 1861:

RG9/2144/101/13

323 & 326 Bradford Road, Birmingham (St. Martin's)
    Warwick Arms, Stabling & Shoeing Forge

Thomas Reading, Head, mar, 33, Licenced Victualler, b Ashorne, Warwickshire
    Elizabeth Reading, wife, 39, b Wellington, Warwickshire
    Ann, Reading, dau, 13, scholar, b Birmingham
    William, Reading, son, 11, scholar, b Birmingham
    Thomas, Reading, son, 10, scholar, b Throwle (??), Warwickshire
    Joseph Grisold Reading, son, 8, scholar, b Beausell (??),Warwickshire
    Elizabeth Reading, dau, 6 , scholar, b Solihull, Warwickshire
    Geo Reading, son, 4, b Solihull, Warwickshire
    Frederick Reading, 1, b Birmingham, Warwickshire
    Also:
    Elizabeth Atkins, visitor, unm, 15, Farmer's Daughter, b Oxfordshire (?), Great Burton
    Rebecca Grisold, visitor, unm, 24, Farmer's Daughter, b Oxfordshire (?), Great Burton
    Emma Perry, servant, unm, 24, Waitress, b Birmingham
    Charlotte Dolby, servant, unm, 24, Cook, b Oxfordshire, ***???
    Elizabeth Stanton, servant, 16, Nurse, b Oxfordshire, ***???
    William Cherry, servant, 19, Boots, b Long ***???, Warwickshire

Someone who is better at reading the script and who has a knowledge of where these places may be might be able to help out.

Jan1954

And just to complete the picture:

Marriages Dec 1846
    Adkins Mary Ann Banbury 16 29
    Bourton Temperance Banbury 16 29
    French Josiah Banbury 16 29
    Grisold Elizabeth Banbury 16 29
    Hall Sarah Banbury 16 29
    Reading Thomas Banbury 16 29
    TAYLOR Charles Banbury 16 29
    Upton Richard Banbury 16 29

Hope all this helps,

Delphinus

Default My names so far

Many thanks Jan 1954 for your help. I will look into what you found out I do know that Shirley is near Solihull in Warwickshire but as yet have been unable to find the correct birth certificate.

Thanks again
    Delphinus

Jan1954

Have you tried this one?

Births Jun 1855
    Reading Elizabeth Solihull 6d 423

KateJones

Default Your Ancestor employed my ancestor!!!!

Look at the census for 1891 - your John Corkill Baker had Samuel Castell - Master Baker, boarding with him. This is my great grandfather! Talk about a coincidence!

Husband is gobsmacked!

Stunned
    KJ

Delphinus

Thanks Kate Jones,

Do you happen to know where on the Isle of Man, your great grandfather came from?.
    I was wondering if they had known each other before they came to England, if they didn't, I thought it might be somewhere to start.

Many thanks
    Delphinus

KateJones

Hi Delphinus,

I assume they must have known each other before Barrow, I think the Manx families stuck closely together.

Samuel was born in Douglas, and is listed in the census of 1861 in his father's home in Parade Street and 1871 in Bath Place. His father Daniel was a shipwright and was listed twice in 1861 (at home as well as on board ship in Liverpool), and not at all (as far as I can find) in 1871 - I assume he was at sea.

The family also have a long association with Onchan, where Daniel's father (also Daniel) was a farmer, and where his older brother James continued farming at Glencrutchery after their father's death.

In 1881 Samuel is shown as Samuel CASTLE (a common alternative) in Everton, Liverpool.

I'll have a look at the censuses later on, and see if anything strikes me about any Corkill families living close to any of my Castells.

Cheers

KateJones

Default John's Father

Delphinus,
    is John's father John shown as 'deceased' on the marriage certificate, as that might help to narrow things down?

Oh, and does John show as having any other names or initials?
    Cheers

Delphinus

Hi Kate Jones,
    The information I have for John Corkill is this,

27.02.1878 married Elizabeth Reading at St George's Church Barrow, he was a 23 year old bachelor, occupation Baker living at 27 Manchester St Barrow, His father John Corkill's occupation was a farmer.

He had three children with Elizabeth;
    John Frederick born about 1878 in Barrow, Baptised 08.12.1878 St John's Church Barrow.
    Thomas George born 10.09.1880 at 8 Byron St Barrow, Baptised 03.11.1880 at St Matthew's Church Barrow. (my great grandfather)
    Elizabeth Grisold born about 1882 in Barrow, Baptised 31.01.1883 at St John's church Barrow.

I have the family on the 1881 census at 8 Byron St Barrow.
    the 1891 census at 211 Duke St Barrow
    and the 1901 census again at 211 Duke St Barrow.

It would appear that John did not have any other name or at least never used it on official records.

Many Thanks again for your help
    Delphinus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast