Default Alfred and James BARRETT

I am stuck trying to find the baptism of James Barrett who married Susannah Frampton in Frome St Quintin, Dorset on 8.2.1835. In the census he says he is from Evershot and that is where they lived. I have failed to find him there. In 14.10.1834 Alfred Barrett of Evershot married Mary Ann Frampton (Susannah's sister). In the census he says he is from Axminster. So maybe James and Alfred were brothers and baptised in Axminster or nearby. From the information I have James was born about 1807 and Alfred about 1811. Does anyone know where I can look up this kind of information without having to go to Exeter? thank you.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi. Appreciate that this was posted in 2008 just wondered if you James and Alfred's documentation? I have also found Alfred and James who I think were twins but unable to find their birth certificates and parent's names.
    It's taken 16 months to get to this stage and now at a brick wall.
    It would be great if you found any information so that we can go even further back.
    Look forward to hearing from you.
    David

Default James Barrett

Quote Originally Posted by Davidrb View Post
    Hi. Appreciate that this was posted in 2008 just wondered if you James and Alfred's documentation? I have also found Alfred and James who I think were twins but unable to find their birth certificates and parent's names.
    It's taken 16 months to get to this stage and now at a brick wall.
    It would be great if you found any information so that we can go even further back.
    Look forward to hearing from you.
    David
    OK - I am now back researching the family tree. I was convinced that James Barrett was Alfred's brother but on deeper investigation I cannot find an absolute link apart from them marrying sisters. In 1841 and 1851 census James is stated as born in Dorset, not Devon. In 1841 he is 30 and in 1851 he is 45 which is not helpful. His death is recorded as aged 53 in 1860 so on 2 documents his dob is 1807 which rules out being a twin. Now completely confused and with more than one James Barrett occurring in Dorset not sure I am going to be able to resolve this. Did you get anywhere with it?

Super Moderator

There is another marriage entry for James Barrett and Susanna Frampton on 11 January 1835. On one of the entries it states they married in Evershot.

An ancestor of mine was "married twice" The first time we think it was annulled as the bride and groom were under age and maybe did not have their parents permission.

Super Moderator

Just found a Dorset Militia List from the parish of Frome St. Quinton dated 10 November 1799.
    James Barrett, Labourer, late of the Provisional Cavalry
    John Barrett, Labourer, ? Head

Also Alehouse licence Record for a James Barrett 9 September 1769 - Evershot

There also seems to be a number of Prison registers of Admissions and Discharges relating to a James Barrett of Evershot, Dorset.

All these entries may be connected to your James family.

Famous for offering help & advice

If you look on the website www.
    martinofevershot.org(link broken)and then on overseers of the poor,there is information about Alfred from official records. Also info of a brother James but they believe this James may have died in 1826. However he does not appear in the Evershot burials list from Dorset OPC.

Quote Originally Posted by Frampton View Post
    OK - In 1841 he is 30 and in 1851 he is 45 which is not helpful. His death is recorded as aged 53 in 1860 so on 2 documents his dob is 1807 which rules out being a twin.
    Have you checked out the 1841 Census re. age and "rounding down" - helps explain the 1841 and 1851 apparent disparity.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Thank you for these helpful replies. I am beginning to think he was the bastard child of Elizabeth Barrett - baptised in Sherborne 13.10.1810 - just before she married James Harris. He could of course been born prior to that date and maybe that caused the confusion of his actual age. All very confusing.