warmnet

Default Elizabeth Bennett, Levi Warman, Standon

Hello, I'm back again with lots of new info since obtaining newspaper article from HALS. Wonderful service.

I'm not sure if this is appropriate to ask this question but I'm still learning about the protocols of this forum. Is there any chance of a quick lookup for marriage of Elizabeth Bennett to Levi Warman, of Standon Herts for 1820?

And birth/baptism record of Levi Warman, Standon 1797, 1803?

I'm still confused as to parentage of Thomas Warman, though and how many Levi Warmans there were in Standon at the time!

I have IGI Records

for marriage Elizth to a Lievey Warman- 15 Feb 1820
    However, baptism for Thomas (Levi's son) was 9 apr 1820 with Levi Warman and Mary being parents.

Regards
    Diane

Clive Blackaby

Hi Diane,

Provided the info you have from IGI comes from the Standon Parish Registers, it is probably accurate - from experience, the quality of the transcriptions from that area is pretty good. (Shame it excludes burials - you can probably get these from the Herts FHS if you need them)

https://www.hertsfhs.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by warmnet View Post
    for marriage Elizth to a Lievey Warman- 15 Feb 1820
    However, baptism for Thomas (Levi's son) was 9 apr 1820 with Levi Warman and Mary being parents.
    Oh dear, so that means he was 6 months premature, and (at a guess) Elizabeth was not there at the baptism. I'd bet on this being an error in the original, rather than a transcription error, though you cannot totally rule out the other possibility that there were two guys called Levi Warman.

Of course there's nothing like going back to the original source, as you pick up all sorts of snippets.

As far as "forum etiquette" is concerned, there's certainly no harm in asking. There are some very willing and helpful folk here who visit County Hall regularly, and are happy to do a few lookups for fellow members, provided you can give as much detail as possible to allow them to find what you're looking for. Likewise you might find that someone here has borrowed the PR films from the LDS. (I don't have it at the moment!!)

The folks at HALS are also very willing and knowledgeable, but of course as local civil servants they have to account for their time.

If there's nobody on this site who can do the lookups for you, try Chris Reynolds, who has a wealth of Herts information.

https://www.hertfordshire-genealogy.co.uk/home.htm

warmnet

Default Thanks Clive.

Thanks Clive, Someone has offered to do a lookup for me. This really is a great site and I've learned a lot. My parents are in awe at what can be achieved.

Yes, I suspect there's either bigamy at hand here? or two Levi's or even as you suggest, maybe an error. Well I'll have to wait and see...

Regards
    Diane

Jan1954

Hello Diane,

I had the opportunity to nip into the Hertford RO today and have a rummage through the Standon PRs.

First some facts:

Marriage:
    Levi Warman, bac, (signed X) and Elizabeth Bennett, sp, (signed X) 5 February 1820
    Witnesses: George Warman (X); Susannah Warman (X); Samuel Pickett (he appears on a lot of marriages so was probably the curate or parish clerk)

Baptisms:
    9 April 1820 Thomas, s/o Levi & Mary Warman, Labourer of Broken Green
    8 Sep 1822 Mary, d/o Levi & Elizabeth Warman, Labourer of Broken Green
    8 Mar 1825 Susan, d/o Levi & Elizabeth Warman, Labourer of Broken Green

Did not see the baptism for George 1829 or thereabouts. I checked to 1833. Could he have been born/baptised elsewhere?

There’s a bit of a gap between Susan in 1825 and George in 1829 so I wondered if these could have been yours? No clues as to parents, so they could belong to another couple (see later).

Burials:
    Joseph Warman 29 July 1827 Infant
    Eliza Warman 30 January 1828 Infant

Also found these 2 marriages:
    15 February 1823 William Warman & Mary Head
    7 March 1826 George Warman & Sarah Lewis

I tried to find Levi’s baptism but the years 1794 to 1801 were totally illegible. I asked about the Bishops Transcripts, but apparently they were lost when being moved from London to Chelmsford, back in the mists of time. The only other recourse is to seeing the actual registers, which are held at Hertford. However, I have to book them and even then they can be rather precious about letting a member of the public handle them. Might try another time, though - I don’t give up that easily!

As far as the entry for Thomas’ baptism is concerned, I think that Mary has been entered in error by the Parish Clerk, like Clive has said, and it should read Elizabeth. However, without another source for information, we’ll never know.

I reckon that the death of Mary Warman in 1829 is that of the wife of William - not a first wife of Levi. Although some people lied about their marital status, I really think that Levi was a bachelor when he married Elizabeth. He would only have been about 21, +/- a couple of years.

I hope that all this helps. If I ever clap eyes on the original Parish Records, I'll let you know.

warmnet

Default thanks

Thanks Jan,

Wow! Where do I start? Some answers....More questions, I guess. I wish I could just step in there and sort it all out!

Okay, I can only assume now that Mary was incorrect and was actually Thomas' gr/mother - Mary Green that is and that Levi's Dad was Levi. (this correlates with IGI record from memory).

That Thomas was born of Elizabeth - though we need proof.

but How do I solve this?

1. Parish register - to sort out Thos Warman parents.
    2. Mary Warman - if I order her death certificate this may solve who's wife she was.

Hmm. A little too hard at the moment. I might have to step to another lineage for a while!!!

Thanks so much, Jan. I'm sure we'll be in touch again soon and one day, we'll catch you for a pint at the pub at Standon!

Diane

inventorb

Default Levy Warman

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Blackaby View Post
    Hi Diane,

Provided the info you have from IGI comes from the Standon Parish Registers, it is probably accurate - from experience, the quality of the transcriptions from that area is pretty good. (Shame it excludes burials - you can probably get these from the Herts FHS if you need them)

https://www.hertsfhs.org.uk/

Oh dear, so that means he was 6 months premature, and (at a guess) Elizabeth was not there at the baptism. I'd bet on this being an error in the original, rather than a transcription error, though you cannot totally rule out the other possibility that there were two guys called Levi Warman.

Of course there's nothing like going back to the original source, as you pick up all sorts of snippets.

As far as "forum etiquette" is concerned, there's certainly no harm in asking. There are some very willing and helpful folk here who visit County Hall regularly, and are happy to do a few lookups for fellow members, provided you can give as much detail as possible to allow them to find what you're looking for. Likewise you might find that someone here has borrowed the PR films from the LDS. (I don't have it at the moment!!)

The folks at HALS are also very willing and knowledgeable, but of course as local civil servants they have to account for their time.

If there's nobody on this site who can do the lookups for you, try Chris Reynolds, who has a wealth of Herts information.

https://www.hertfordshire-genealogy.co.uk/home.htm

Yes Sir I have seen two different Levi Warman's. Both have come from our early ancestors.

William J. Warman Sr.