Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To Australia

bobnewts

Yes a quick reply to the TO AUSTRALIA thread I am looking for anybody that knows anything about a ship named The CHITRAL that came out to australia in 1947 from england.
    Would like to get a passenger list as detailed as possible because my father was supposed to be a passenger on this vessel and would like to track his journey and hopefully trackdown my grandparents or at least learn about them.
    cheers for any help that can be given as I am new to this and still trying to stumble my way threw Thanks Robert

Annamarie

Quote Originally Posted by bobnewts View Post
    Yes a quick reply to the TO AUSTRALIA thread I am looking for anybody that knows anything about a ship named The CHITRAL that came out to australia in 1947 from england.
    Would like to get a passenger list as detailed as possible because my father was supposed to be a passenger on this vessel and would like to track his journey and hopefully trackdown my grandparents or at least learn about them.
    cheers for any help that can be given as I am new to this and still trying to stumble my way threw Thanks Robert
    Hi Robert, it may be easier to give his name. Passenger lists are available on Ancestry.

You could also try
    https://www.naa.gov.au/collection/fact-sheets/fs64.aspx

1946lad

I have the passenger list for the Chitral and will look up any name that you wish. However the ship did not, according to my records make a trip in 1947. The closest I can get is she left England on 30 December 1948. Is this of any use ?
    Alan

1946lad

Still thinking. The Chitral made 3 trips in 1947 that I can find.
    May to Bombay
    June to India
    August to Salonica
    Did your relative take the long route to Australia ?
    Alan

1946lad

Quote: "Chitral was painted in the old P&O colours and on 30/12/48 left London on its first post-war voyage to Australia."

If you submit a name for checking, I will be looking at a departure in 1948.

Alan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12