Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    skip

Default Farningham and Swanley Boys Home

I was at the Boys home from 1954 to 1958. I lived in House 4 and then we were all moved to House 9. We were bused to Swanley Secondary School evry schoolday.

jensenboy

I was in the Farningham Boys Home from September 1954 to February 1958 and then emigrated to Canada in March 1959. I was in House 4 and then we were all transfered to House 9.

CRIPES

My grandfather, Leslie Whitford Wilson was at the Orphan Boys, Hextable, Swanley in 1911. His father was a shipwright and died in 1908. So he may have been there before 1911.
    He went on to join the navy...not sure if it was merchant or Royal...but became a Lt. I do not know when he left the school.

helena869

Did any of you watch Rupert Everett's programme in the 'Who do you think you are?' series on BBC1 recently? His grandfather, Cyril Everett, was at the 'Farningham Homes for Little Boys' in the late nineteenth century.

The programme showed the area where the home was, although it has mostly been demolished now.

CRIPES

There is a small documentry on the Swanley home on Youtube. Its in 2 parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUBAl0NrepQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5HgwmnDNNk

I have tried phoning the school a couple of times and they said they would get back to me as regards archives for the school, yet they have not been forth coming rather annoyingly.

ehodges

Quote Originally Posted by Daxo View Post
    I would like to get in touch with any one who was at the Swanley, or descendents of any one who was there as a boy or staff member between 1883 and 1955.
    It was known as a Naval Orphanage and many boys joined the Merchant Navy or the Royal Navy.
    We believe my father in law's Dad and two brothers were there from around 1913. We know they letter joined the Navy but don't know how long they were there. Surname Hodges?

jeanrourke

Ian Doley was in the orphanage around 1941-46. He was there at the time when the orphanage was bombed and all staff and boys sheltered in the empty swimming pool. He went to the orphanage because my mother Esther Doley was widowed when my father died in 1937 and he had been a colour sergeant in the Royal Marines and completed 30 years service. Ian went on to be a Foundationer at Lord Wandsworth College, Long Sutton, Hampshire where he gained his A-Levels to study Economics at South Hampton University. He later became a chartered accountant. He died in 2011. I would be delighted if you would send me any information about Swanley orphanage as I have very little recollection of his time there. Thanks Jean Rourke.

golfingkiwi

I have a distant relative who at 15 was sent to New Zealand 1926 from home for boys Swanly Herts off shipping record. Along with at least 5 other boys.my email is suzanneDOTharrisATxtraDOTcoDOTnz
    Last edited by christanel; 16-12-2013 at 5:52 AM. Reason: email disguised to deter spam

jensenboy

Wink

I would like to get in touch with any one who was at the Swanley, or descendents of any one who was there as a boy or staff member between 1883 and 1955.

I was in the Farningham Boys Home from September 1954 to February 1958 and then emigrated to Canada in March 1959. I was in House 4 and then we were all transfered to House 9.

David Ballantine
    email: 2skip865@telus/net

Dear David

I was there between I believe Maybe 40 -52 0r a shorter period than that my name is Graham Bridge now Dr Graham Peveller - drglpevellerATgmailCOMcom
    Last edited by christanel; 20-01-2017 at 2:58 AM. Reason: email address disguised to deter spam

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast