Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jan55

Default Definition of a Licensed Victualler?

I have a licensed victualler in my ancestry. This may sound daft but I don't really know what the definition of one is. I thought it was a grocer's shop that also sold alcohol. Now I realise that it may be the same as running a pub - especially as his 20 year old daughter is listed in the census as a bar maid!

So exactly what is a licensed victualler? And how is it different to an innkeeper or publican?

Jan1954

The publican is sometimes known as the landlord, licensee or licensed victualler. It is he (sometimes she) who holds the license to run the pub and it is his job to ensure the financial success of the premises.

You can find out more about the history of public houses - and who worked in them - here:

www.
    sfowler.force9.co.uk/page_27.htm

Geoffers

Think of a licensed victualler historically as being an innkeeper or publican who also sells food.

Innkeepers and Publicans just sell the booze.

Alan Welsford

I remember seeing this, on the topic...

LIcensed Victuallers

Alan

This link was posted not long ago, very useful for the old and odd trades names https://rmhh.co.uk/occup/index.html

joyce van der hoeven

Question Licenced Victualler

im trying to find my great grandfather on his daughters marriage cert he was Licenced Victualler but i cant find him his name was John Bassindale but he was deccased on the cert dated 1893,in Walton on the hill lancaster,thank you for any help you can give
    Dutch

ET in the USA

Dutch,

You don't mention how you know his occupation. Is it only from the 1893 marriage cert ? Have you found any of the family on a census when he was alive? If you do, it might help you narrow down his birth or death year & you could order the death certificate. I wouldn't count on finding him via a listing of people having had 'such and such' occupation only. Except for a doctor, I've never had much success with that method. Much better (IMHO) to carefully go back through census records, then look in BMD records starting with the free ones at Free BMD, then on to pay, if needed. You don't say which country you are in, but many local libraries around the world have free access to An*****y library edition for library card holders. Just because his daughter was married in Lancaster doesn't mean he ever lived there.
    ET

joyce van der hoeven

Default Licensed Victuallers

Hi ET
    I only have him on my grandmothers marriage cert i was having trouble finding birth cert for her and still have,nt found one,im living in the nederlands
    Dutch

daggers

Default Walton-on-the-Hill

This was in the county of Lancaster and we trad folk think it still is. Seriously, it has been part of Liverpool for many years, whcih may help your search.
    Daggers

Sybil B-J

I have a photograph Labelled No 3b (Licensed Victuallers) Company. I THINK this was taken during the Boer War. I have a relative in the photograph but I have no idea which one he is. I can also find no information on him at all. His name was private Victor G Hubbard. Was there such a company during the Boer War?
    Sybil B-J

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast