JessyB

Default Newbie - research questions

Hello

I've just joined and I wondered if anyone could help me out. I'm doing some research for a novel in which someone is trying to find out about their family (hope that's not too confusing!). I'm coming across numerous questions, but for starters I'd like to know:

If a baby was abandoned or put into an orphanage at birth around the time of WW2, what would it say on their birth certificate?

and

Can I get hold of a death certificate for someone I'm not actually related to?

I'm sorry if this isn't quite what this site is intended for. I've had a look around and you seem to have so much expertise that I thought it would be worth asking.

Thank you!

elyam

Smile

Hi JessieB,
    Welcome
    The answer to your first question having looked through pages of births over the years mothers name would be registered as unknown.
    As to the death cert. it depends on how recent the death and how much you know about the person.
    I hope some of that helps.
    elyam

suedent

Hi JessieB,
    there is no restriction on getting a death certificate apart from the fact that if the death took place in the last 50 years you do need to provide the date of death if applying to the GRO.
    As far as I know the same restriction does not apply when applying at the relevant local office.

JessyB

Thank you so much for your replies - really helpful.

So would there be any information at all on the birth certificate? What about if the baby was named by the orphanage?

The death certificate would be a WW2 death. Would there be any restriction on that as far as you know?

Thanks again

suedent

As far as I can see there would be no problem with a WW2 death as it was over 50 years ago.

It should also be noted that if it was a civilian death as a result of enemy action there may well be an entry on the Commonwealth War Graves website also.