Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    TreeChaser

Default What is Effie short for???

I have my great grandads photo album, he has a picture of a lady & a man, with the title Effie & Uncle underneath. I can't think of anything Effie would be short for...Any Ideas???

Colin Rowledge

I have 2 ladies in my line that were known as Effie. One was Ethel also known as Etta and Frances Elizabeth. This one never liked either name so she went through life known as Effie for obvious reasons.

Colin

Mutley

Also short for Euphemia but I had a London aunt called Ethel and as their 'f' replaced 'th' she was Effie also.

Knowledgeable and helpful Jellylegs's Avatar

It can be someone's real name. In my early years at work, a lady in the office was named Effie. I asked what it was short for and she told me it was her real name. If you look on FreeBMD there are thousands registered with a first name of Effie.

Jellylegs

TreeChaser

Hi Everyone I'm back on the case could someone please do a search for a Effie Mcdonald in the Manchester area around 1910 I've been on fr**bmd and have found one born in Barton 1910 but I can't go any further I've let my A*ncestry lapse until I've finished college properly.

Emma.

anamarja

The 1911 census has Angus and Effie Macdonald, he born Harris, Invernessshire, she born S. Uist, Invernessshire, both aged 36, with Annie, 8, born Glasgow, Donald, 5, also born Glasgow, and Effie, 1, born Manchester. They are living at 63 Dale Rd, Sale, Cheshire. Angus and Effie have been married 10 years.

TreeChaser

Thank you!"

You may have just opened a small gap in a hopefully soon to disappear brickwall!" My great Grandad has a photo album of his time in the army and in the back there is a picture of man & woman (underneath it says uncle & Effie) and when he left the army he went to Barton. So he may not have been adopted after all.

anamarja

I meant to add the acknowlegement of The National Archives and the reference, but got caught by a slip of the finger. Sorry, mods.
    I am so pleased that this may have helped.
    Last edited by anamarja; 24-05-2013 at 11:01 AM. Reason: oops

geraldpritchard

Could it possibly be short for Stephanie??

Paul Ketteridge

It is not short for another name

Effie meaning and name origin

Effie \e(f)-fie\ as a girl's name is pronounced EF-ee. It is of Greek origin, and the meaning of Effie is "well-spoken". Pet form of Euphemia. First used in the 1860s.

Effie has 10 variant forms: Effemie, Effemy, Effi, Effy, Efthemia, Ephie, Eppie, Euphemia, Euphemie and Euphie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast