Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Jane M

Hi Sussexder,
    I'm working on this Warnham connection at the moment so I'll post that when I'm finished. I have no problem with you sending me a PM but I would advise you to keep it all here on the public board as someone else might be able to make a contribution,

Jane

SUSSEXDER

JANE M.
    My RICHARD was married to MARY FRANCES, In BRAMLEY SUSSEX SURREY, 13,Sept 1811.
    She was born in RUDGWICK SUSSEX. OK, will do as you say about keeping it on the board.
    SUSSEXDER.
    Last edited by SUSSEXDER; 18-02-2008 at 3:36 PM. Reason: Added sentence By Sussexder.

Jane M

I have checked the Warnham pr's (baptism's) from 1770-1782 & there's no Richard Nightingale baptised within this period except the 1782 one s/o Joseph & Elizabeth.
    I checked the Surrey Marriage Index & the marriage between Richard & Mary Frances is there, in fact they married twice!
    In Ewhurst 3/3/1811 by banns & 13/9/1811 in Bramley by banns. At the time of their marriage Richard was from Ewhurst & Mary from Bramley.
    There is no marriage on the same index between a Joseph Nightingale & Elizabeth only a Joseph & Henrietta in 1782.
    Looking at the 1841 census I can see where your cousin got those dates for Richard 1778!

1841 - Warnham HO107/1097/bk7/29/15

Richard Nightingale 63 ag lab b. Sussex
    Mary 53 ditto
    Benjamin 10 ditto
    SOLOMON 7 ditto
    I'm not sure if the next entry is in the same household
    Mary Parker 20 ditto
    I think this couple is next door

Francis Nightingale 29 ag lab ditto
    Martha 20 ditto

As the ages on this page all seem to be precise this does give Richard a dob of 1778 so Alan's theory of a later baptism might be correct or your cousin is assuming he was born Warnham but he was born elsewhere in Sussex
    He doesn't appear on the 1851 census & there is a death reg. for a Richard Nightingale Q3 1844 Horsham reg. district (7 248)

Jane

SUSSEXDER

Question NIGHTINGALES . JANE M.

Jane,Thank you for your time. I have just found EWHURST on my map, its not that far from BRAMLEY. I wonder why they got married twice !!
    So do you think we may have the correct family ?? and it was just an assumption on my Cousins part.? about the actual town . The Death is correct too is,nt it ? Most of my family Nightingales come from Horsham, then moved on down to Brighton. Richard died at 15 Friday Street WARNHAM SUSSEX/ Which is just between EWHURST and HORSHAM. I have there children as RICHARD, JOSEPH CHARLOTTE BENJAMIN and SOLOMAN.
    SUSSEXDER.
    Last edited by SUSSEXDER; 18-02-2008 at 4:25 PM. Reason: Missed something out . SUSSEXDER.

Jane M

They probably married twice to keep both sets of parents happy
    As far as having the right family is concerned, we do know that a Richard Nightingale with a wife called Mary had a child, Solomon in about 1834. The IGI only has a member submitted entry so that needs to be checked, unfortunately my pr's only go up to 1811.
    Looking at the IGI it looks to me as if this Richard was the son of Joseph & Elizabeth Nightingale. Elizabeth could well have been quite young when she married in 1759 & went on having children for 22 odd years unless, as Alan said, they were not baptised as infants.
    Have a look at the Access to Archives site (A2A) there was some information from the West Sussex records office concerning this particular Nightingale family.
    Let us know if you need anymore help,

Jane

SUSSEXDER

Quote Originally Posted by Jane M View Post
    They probably married twice to keep both sets of parents happy
    As far as having the right family is concerned, we do know that a Richard Nightingale with a wife called Mary had a child, Solomon in about 1834. The IGI only has a member submitted entry so that needs to be checked, unfortunately my pr's only go up to 1811.
    Looking at the IGI it looks to me as if this Richard was the son of Joseph & Elizabeth Nightingale. Elizabeth could well have been quite young when she married in 1759 & went on having children for 22 odd years unless, as Alan said, they were not baptised as infants.
    Have a look at the Access to Archives site (A2A) there was some information from the West Sussex records office concerning this particular Nightingale family.
    Let us know if you need anymore help,

Jane
    JANE, sorry where do I find this site DER.!! Do I google it.?
    SUSSEXDER

Jane M

https://www.a2a.org.uk/

Search in the West Sussex Records Office & put in nightingale in the subject box,

Jane

SUSSEXDER

Question Jane,-M. Nightingales.

WEll JANE I am totally now. I found the site looked at it, and got no where.What doe,s Boarding Agreement mean .?
    Me thinks I am digging a whole too deep.
    Anyway, Jane can you enlighten me.? I really do not know anything about these things, as you know I am very knew to all of this, although I am slowly learning alot. By the way SOLOMAN NIGHTINGALE BORN ABT 1834 DIED IN THE WORKHOUSE, HORSHAM SUSSEX, 28/4/1913.
    Thanks if you can let me know., About Boarding Agreements. When your next on line.
    SUSSEXDER.
    Last edited by SUSSEXDER; 18-02-2008 at 7:47 PM. Reason: LEFT out a sentence by DER.

Jane M

Although I haven't delved into Boarding agreements myself, I would think they are agreements drawn up between an apprentice & his/her master concerning their board & lodging. As an apprentice to whatever trade, you would most likely have to make arrangements as to your keep, as apprentices (or their families) normally paid the master for the privelledge of learning the trade so a separate arrangement aside from the apprenticeship indentures would have been needed.
    If you ever get the chance to get to the West Sussex Record Offices in Chichester you could see the full document if you have the ref. number & this would give more details.

Jane

SUSSEXDER

Quote Originally Posted by Jane M View Post
    Although I haven't delved into Boarding agreements myself, I would think they are agreements drawn up between an apprentice & his/her master concerning their board & lodging. As an apprentice to whatever trade, you would most likely have to make arrangements as to your keep, as apprentices (or their families) normally paid the master for the privelledge of learning the trade so a separate arrangement aside from the apprenticeship indentures would have been needed.
    If you ever get the chance to get to the West Sussex Record Offices in Chichester you could see the full document if you have the ref. number & this would give more details.

Jane
    Morning JANE M. Thanks for the reply, I thought it was going to mean something dreadfull.
    I have kept the ref .number, so when I get the chance we will pop over in the summer.
    I would like to thank you very much for all your input concerning the Nightingales.
    Hope we get the chance to speak again. Bye for now. Its a great site to be learning from.
    thanks to you all.
    SUSSEXDER.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast