Dennis Lord

Default Orkney Taylors -Marwick

I have traced my family back from Canada (Hudsons Bay Company) to Marwick, Birsay, Orkney and an Alexander Taylor (b1741?) who married Marion Captain in 1787.

I think Alexanders' father is Henry Tayler, and Henrys' father is Johne Tailyeour, but that is just guesswork.
    I would like to know how this family of Taylors came to be on this island and this part of the island, as there are many Taylors in the Orkneys. I know there are Taylors on the mainland of Scotland and assume somehow they moved to the Orkneys. I had the understanding the Taylors were a sept of the Cameron clan.

Dennis

Fiona mac

My 4 x great grandmother was Agnes Taylor, born Birsay in 1794. She died beofre the 1841 census so I have no further information on her. I do have other Taylor's from Birsay married into my family . Afraid I can't help with how or when they came to Orkney.

Dennis Lord

Default Agnes Taylor born 1794 Birsay, Orkney

Hello Fiona,
    I have relatives of my James Taylor who were also from Birsay, a cousin William born in 1788 and worked for the Hudson Bay Company in Canada.
    I believe James and Williams grandfather may have been Alexander. Do you know if there is any connection with your Agnes or any of your other ancestors?
    Dennis

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Taylor in Orkney

Dennis,

You wonder how the Taylors came to Orkney. Taylor is a fairly common name all across the UK. It can be one of those surnames like Wright, Smith, Cooper, Souter and so on which have arisen from a persons occupation. Perhaps your ancestors have lived in Orkney for generations and were simply named after an ancestor who was a Tailor? There may not be a Clan connection.

Elwyn

Staceyp

Hi Dennis - I found HUGE success with finding Orkney links through the Rousay Roots site. I know it is mainly based around Rousay however there are a lot of other links also.
    If you haven't already tried it - it is worth a shot.