davidyoung

Default MANNING (Devon), PERRING (Devon, Cornwall)

Greetings from sunny San Diego, California.

I am researching the ancestors of the Harold N. YOUNG (Feb 1898 - Jan 1983) family of Santa Barbara California.

His mother Irene was a PERRING, b. 1901 prob Camborne, Cornwall. I have Irene's father Alfred Luke 'under control' thanks very much to a Perring in the UK who has already researched that family, but Irene's mother Harriett MANNING is proving to be quite a challenge. I believe Harriett hails from the Tiverton, Devon region from approximately 1866-8, but not knowing her birthdate makes it difficult because there appears to be more than one MANNING family in Tiverton at that time. Prior to marrying into the Perring clan (Exeter 1898), Harriett seems to have been married to George BRAY (married Tiverton 1886) where she used the 'maiden' name Harriett Manning NICHOLLS. Immigration ship's passengers lists indicate that NICHOLLS was her grandmother's name in Tiverton (1913, Heathcott Square).

My plan for Harriett Manning Bray Perring is to obtain the marriage 'vitals' from the Bray wedding so that I have her birthdate and family names. Any suggestions?

The YOUNG branch is from Pennsylvania via Ontario, Canada. Harold's father Samuel (b. abt 1869 prob Dorchester North twnshp, Middlesex) was from the marriage (prob abt 1867-8, location unknown) of ROYAL YOUNG (b abt April 1837, Pennsylvania, county unknown) to Margaret NORWOOD (b abt May 1845, either "Ireland" or "N. Ireland"). Margaret's parents were also born in "Ireland" and that branch is currently a brick wall.

Royal Young reported his church as Presbyterian and his ethnicity as Scottish, but also that his parents were born in Pennsylvania as well. Unfortunately, there were many Young families in Pennsylvania at that time, I cannot find any of Royal's other multiple progeny, and the county of residence is of prime importance. Another brick wall, so it will be a while before I "get" to Scotland!

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by davidyoung View Post
    I am researching the ancestors of the Harold N. YOUNG (Feb 1898 - Jan 1983) family of Santa Barbara California.
    His mother Irene was a PERRING, b. 1901 prob Camborne, Cornwall.
    Hello and welcome to the British-Genealogy forums, I hope you get lots of help here.

One minor point seems slightly wrong.......

Harold Young 1898-1983 - his mother was born 1901? I've hear of child brides but these beats them all!!

As far as the marriage that you are looking for, do you know how to search for and obtain copies of certificates in the UK? If not, pelase ask.

A marriage certificate will give you:

Date and palce married
    Whether by banns, licence or in a register office.
    Grom and Bride - name, age, marital condition, occupation, address, father's name and occupation.
    Witnesses

davidyoung

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    One minor point seems slightly wrong.......
    Harold Young 1898-1983 - his mother was born 1901? I've hear of child brides but these beats them all!!
    My apologies, Irene was my father Harold R's mother and the wife of Harold N.

I am interested in getting certificates of all of Harriett Manning's apparent marriages. Don't I simply request it from your national government (I ask innocently)? I have the vol & page cites from FreeBMD and a credit card. Do I need to try to find the location of the marriage or the registry office where it was recorded instead?

Thanks for your kind welcome message!

Geoffers

You need a full reference from the General Register Office (GRO) Index. freebmd is a useful place to start, but it is not complete and contains errors. Do double check the original index. ou may be able to view this on freebmd by clicking on the spectacles next to a result.

The full GRO index is available on many pay-per-view sites, including Findmypast, The Genealogist, 1901census.nationalarchives, amongst others.

The full reference you need is:

Year
    Quarter
    Surname
    Forename(s)
    District
    Volume
    Page

For marriages, if you know the name of the spouse, you should fnd a corresponding entry with the same reference.

Detail should be as recorded in the index.

Certificates should be ordered via the GRO, whose web-site is here.
    Look across to the right of that web-page to 'Order Certificates'.

davidyoung

From the printed index page (I think this is the GRO index, right?) viewed via freebmd, for the 1886 wedding data for H. Manning & G. Bray, I have:

"Marriages Registered in October, November, December 1886 (p 202)"
    BRAY, George
    NICHOLLS, Harriett Manning
    District: Tiverton
    vol: 5b
    page: 796

3 questions, please:

1. the above is all I need to order the registration certificate?
    2. What is the terminology for this volume: October Quarter, 1886, October-December Quarter, 1886?
    3. Does the GRO provide pdfs (or digital scans) of the document by email or web delivery or only printed paper versions by mail?

Thanks

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by davidyoung View Post
    "Marriages Registered in October, November, December 1886 (p 202)"
    BRAY, George
    NICHOLLS, Harriett Manning
    District: Tiverton
    vol: 5b
    page: 796

3 questions, please:

1. the above is all I need to order the registration certificate?
    Yes

2. What is the terminology for this volume: October Quarter, 1886, October-December Quarter, 1886?
    December.

March quarter covers Jan, Feb, Mar
    June quarter covers Apr, Mar, Jun
    September quarter covers Jul, Aug, Sep
    December quarter covers Oct, Nov, Dec

Genealogists sometimes abbreviate this to Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4 when exchanging information. For the GRO stick to the abvoe months.

Note that six weeks is allowed for registering an event. So, someone born in November/December of one year, may appear in the Marhc quarter of the following year. There are some other oddities, but stick to the basics for the moment to avoid confusion.

3. Does the GRO provide pdfs (or digital scans) of the document by email or web delivery or only printed paper versions by mail?
    Certificates are provided as printed paper - posted to you. It has to be this way as it bears an impressed seal certifying it to be a correct copy.