Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Aussielover

Default SAINSBURY of Shepton Mallet

I am currently trying to locate any information on a Jane Sainsbury, born abt 1855 in Shepton Mallet, Somerset. I have no parent names available at this time. I can only assume that she had a name in front of Jane. I know she also had a brother John who was born abt 1847. Jane did marry Henry Edwards and lived in Monmouthshire Wales of which they had several children together. Any information/feedback would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Eileen

Jan1954

Hello Eileen - welcome to Brit-Gen,

There is a marriage that took place in the Pontypool Registration District between a Jane SAINSBURY and Henry EDWARDS in the September quarter of 1888 (volume 11a, page 167 refers) that could be your couple. If you have not aleady obtained a copy of the marriage certificate, then that should be your first step as the fathers of both should be recorded, which in turn will help to locate the pair in the censuses.

If you are not sure how to obtain the marriage certificate copy, please ask.

Colin Rowledge

Hello Eileen and welcome.

1861 census - Batheaston, Somerset - in care of TNA - ref RG9/1697/43B/3
    has a Mary J. and a John Sainsbury aged 9 and 7 respectively, living with 4 other siblings and parents Charles and Sarah.

While the ages are a bit 'off' are these your 2?

Colin

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by Aussielover View Post
    Jane Sainsbury, born abt 1855 in Shepton Mallet, Somerset.
    This doesn't seem to be as straightforward as it might be. Can I ask where you got this date and place?

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm99 View Post
    This doesn't seem to be as straightforward as it might be. Can I ask where you got this date and place?
    Perhaps this ...

1901: Class: RG13; Piece: 4946; Folio: 12; Page: 15 (census in the care of the TNA)

Henry and Jane Edward, with lots of children. A brother-in-law John Sainsbury is staying.

Jane may also be in the 1911 census here ...

1911: RG14/ Piece 31910 / SN 84

malcolm99

Thanks Olliecat - I won't rush tonight!

Lizzy9

Please can I ask how you know Jane's maiden name was Sainsbury? Do you have a birth cert of one of Jane and Henry's children?

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzy9 View Post
    Please can I ask how you know Jane's maiden name was Sainsbury?
    Lizzy -I suspect it's the entry in the 1901 Census schedule for John SAINSBURY who's described as 'Brother-In-Law', Single, age 54, Coal Miner Hewer Below Gd, born N K, Wales. This may be the only 'proof' that her name is Sainsbury. But I guess you've deduced that yourself!

malcolm99

I'm intrigued by the Jane (1844) and John (1849) births in Clutton RD, Somerset – these seem to fit the criteria except for Jane’s ages in the 1901 & 1911 census.

Jane’s Shepton Mallet is very close to Clutton RD and in the 1851 census HO107/1939/334/37 there is a John Sainsbury, grandson, age 2 born in Midsomer Norton which is in Clutton RD.
    (census records in care of TNA, Crown copyright).

Lizzy9

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm99 View Post
    Lizzy -I suspect it's the entry in the 1901 Census schedule for John SAINSBURY who's described as 'Brother-In-Law', Single, age 54, Coal Miner Hewer Below Gd, born N K, Wales. This may be the only 'proof' that her name is Sainsbury. But I guess you've deduced that yourself!
    Yes Malcolm, I did see that census but it does not prove John was Jane's brother, does it? John is enumerated as single, but it's possible Jane's mother was married twice and Jane had a different birth surname.

I think Eileen should buy the birth certificate of one of Jane and Henry's children, if she hasn't already, otherwise it's guesswork!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast