casrup

Question License Agreements

Hello folks

Sorry if this topic has been mentioned previously.

I'm hoping someone can explain how people are able to sell genealogy products on Ebay.

I purchased through the Latter Day Saints in NSW a copy of the British Isles Vital Records Index and the License Agreement states you may not sell this product.

Now if I were to put my family tree on a Website and extract information from these cd's I would be liable as I am publishing their information.

Am I missing something here or do the rules apply only when it suits them.

Confused
    casrup

Geoffers

The simple answer is that if you purchase a product subject to a licence agreement, then you should comply with that licence. If you breach that licence by selling on an auction site, then you may be prosecuted. Then as well, I understand that some counterfeit products have been sold through such sites - so you may not be sure that what you are purchasing is genuine. What it comes down to is a question of enforcement.

Personally I don't use such sites, I'd urge everyone to go direct to sites such as The Parish Chest - and other reputable publishers/suppliers to purchase such items.

Information form BIVRI or the IGI would not find its way into my final research; it would remain in my 'to be checked' file.

Mutley

My daughter bought me the BIVRI for Christmas direct from the LDS in the UK. They were advertised on E Bay and out of curiosity we looked but although they seemed the same it had American Version written in the write up. What the difference is I have no idea.

As regards putting the information on to your website, the BIVRI is an Index only. It tells you which film to order from the LDS to see the parish record. That, you can put on your family tree.

As Geoffers says it should be confirmed by viewing the actual record, otherwise it would be like copying an index ref from Ancestry and we all know how reliable that is.

Hope I am right and someone will correct me if I am wrong....