sindylin

Default Two copyright queries

I have two queries, the first one is

I have a postcard of an area to do with my family history. Its used and was posted. There is no manufacturer's name anywhere on it as I've looked.... Can I scan this for use in my family history book which

a) will be printed/published by myself and only given to family members and a copy to the local library free of charge

b) be a non profit making book..full stop

And just put something like "photographer unknown" under it to show that it isn't MY photo (ie I didn't take so its not mine to take the credit for)

Second Query, also for the same book,

there are two letters written by a relative of mine to a fairly famous chap, regarding the employment of his daughter as a servant. The letters are now held at a museum of his other (far more important artefacts) They offer a phtographic service and have quoted a price to photograph them onto microfiche.

My flatbed scanner has the facility to scan and print microfilm, negatives etc....

so if I do this and use the scans as images in the book..am I breaking any copyright law? or can I re word the letters and give a general outline of their contents, again is that breaking any "laws"?

Any info, greatly appreciated, as usual!

thanks
    sindylin

ChrisKelly

In my view, in answer to question 1, if nothing is printed on the postcard to identify the originator, then I can't see any problem in reproducing it as you wish.

In answer to question 2, it depends on what conditions the museum holds the letters, ie were they donated to the museum and are now the sole property of the museum or have they been loaned, permanently or otherwise? In either case, I would think you need to obtain permission to reproduce the letters or else you would indeed be infringing copyright. I wouldn't expect it to be a big issue or an expensive one to get the necessary "reproduced by kind permission of .." It happens all the time.

Hi Sindy
    In reply to question 1 - state photographer/printer unknown. If you really want to protect yourself, you can add something like reproduce in all good intentions etc

question 2 - minefield !!
    a. as below by Chriskelly
    b. They museum will have to be contacted as asked if they have any objection to you putting the scans of these items in your book as explained below.
    c. Ascertain the ownership of the items and their permission obtained.
    d. As ChrisK stated if you obtain all this, you have to add reproduced by kind permission of A, B, C etc.
    You might have to add that they are not to be reproduced without the permission of the above.
    Just one refusal and that's it.

Reputation beyond repute

So far as the museum is concerned they may want you to sign a copyright declaration as part of the order process. Whether they do or not, there will probably be a "not to be reproduced without the permission of..." clause.

You would be as well to check this beforehand.

Archives

Always ask the repository what their conditions for reproductions are. Some may have a reproduction fee, while others may not. If you reproduce an image taken by the repository without their permission, then you are breaking the law. Always ask permission.

sindylin

Many thanks for your replies

I shall indeed, see what's what and what's available...as they say!

sindylin