BobM

Default Alexander McTAGGART - shoemaker, Ballachulish and West Laroch

I am seeking descendants of Alexander McTaggart born c 1780 Kintyre to John and Christina nee STUART.
    Married Margaret FLETCHER 28 Nov 1830 at Lismore.
    1851 & 1861 census - Laroch village.
    Known children Margaret, Duncan, Lachlan, Henry, Archibald and Alexander.

Judi

Default McTaggart

In 1871 Henry and Archibald were living with their mother Margaret in Lismore & Appin. Henry was born c 1842 and was a Slate Quarrier. Archibald was born c 1842 twin? and was also a slate quarrier. Margaret's age is given as 70, born in Iorn.

A grandson Alex McKennon aged 8 was there too, born in Glasgow.

Duncan was living in Lismore with wife Margaret aged 31 and daughter Ann aged 2. He was a shoemaker. Margaret was born in Ardgour and Ann in Ballachulish

janetw

I have death information for Lachlan McTaggart who died at Ballachuilish in 1926, the son of Alexander McTaggart a shoemaker, and Margaret Fletcher. I'm hoping that my search for McTaggarts will help me in the quest to find a connection back to the McDonald family. Lachlan was I believe, born in about 1840, and married Mary McDonald, the daughter of John McDonald and Mary (m.s.) McDonald. The marriage took place in 1864. Their son Alexander married Mary Isabella McDonald, and for a short time this couple and some of their family lived in Australia, one son serving in WW1, enlisting in Australia. Does this sound at all familiar? The McTaggarts came to the Kerang area in Victoria, where they were associated with McDonalds who were also there. The story in the McDonalds is that the McTaggarts were related. I'm hoping to find the McTaggart-McDonald connection, and to learn more of the families back in the Ballachuilish area.