Thread: SCHOOLMISTRESS

Loves to help with queries

Default SCHOOLMISTRESS

Can anyone help in advising where to look for my gr gr gr grandmother who was a schoolmistress in Berkeley in 1957, HANNAH MERRETT (63 yo) and her daughter ELIZABETH MERRETT (18yo) was also a school assistant...many thanks karen

Mutley

I can see a Hannah married to Alfred in several census. She is born about 1836 in Berkeley, Gloucestershire.
    They do not mention Elizabeth or being a school mistress but she is the only one I can see born in Berkeley.

Hang on,
    Just found Hannah Merrett, Widow, born 1788 in Slimbridge, Gloucester with Elizabeth, Schoolmistress age 27 born Berkeley.
    This is the 1861 census. RG9/1749 Folio 15 Page 24

This you must have, what else do you want to know.
    It will help us if you tell us what you have and what you would like to find out.

Default SCHOOLMISTRESS

Hi , I would like to know how to find a list of schools they may have taught at..sorry did get my words garbled.....thanks karen

Geoffers

There is not a central registry of schoolteachers and no continual record of schoolteachers showing where they taught. It is a case of finding the peson mentioned in a record where his/her occupation is recorded. So, census returns, directories, certificates will record were someone was at a certain point in time and what they were doing.

Berkeley is not a large place and I would think there was only one school there in the 19th century. There may be some record held by the County Record Office about the particular school and its management, including employment of teachers.

Default Schoolmistress

Thanks for info Geoffers....karen

Colin Moretti

Hello Karen

I believe that schoolteachers had to be licenced by the relevant Church Court (Archdeaconry of Diocesan, perhaps). It was a requirement in the 18th C, I know, but I can't say when the practice ceased.

Records will be in the appropriate County Archive.

Colin

Reputation beyond repute

I would suggest a search of county directories. The 1856 Post Office directory says "There are a Free school and a British school*, supported chiefly by voluntary contributions".

Nobody by the name of Merrett is listed as a teacher.

There are many more Gloucestershire directories that could be checked (not necessarily online).

*Note that "British Schools" were non-conformist. "National Schools" (not mentioned in the above directory) were Church of England.

thanks everyone...karen