Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Thompson View Post
    Hi Jane, this from an article in the shipping intelligence Moreton Bay Courier Saturday 13 January 1855.
    "H.M. Steamer Torch has put into this port for coal, which to the discredit of the place, notwithstanding that the banks of the river abound with the article,she has had to wait for. After coaling, the Torch proceeds to the Percy Islands, in search of Mr Strange and his companions."
    Still looking.
    Hugh.
    Hi Hugh
    Many thanks for the above as I said to Martin every little helps the articles regarding the trial seem to disappear from the newspapers without any mention of what came next!
    I hope the Sydney Morning Herald will help if not I think it will be paying for a researcher to check court records in Sydney. The natives were held at Darlinghurst goal but am unsure if records survive for this.
    Many Thanks
    Jane

Just noticed in an article in March 1855 that Mr Spurling and 3 other bodies were buried at Port Curtis. Does anyone out there have any ideas as to where this could have been and if burial registers survive?
    Jane

Hugh Thompson

Hi Jane, originally known as Port Curtis, it is now known as Gladstone.
    Hugh.

Hugh Thompson

Looking at some old maps of the 1850's I think it's more likely to have been Rockhampton where they were buried as there wasn't anything much at all at Gladstone at the time, I've been going through the cemeterys in the district but haven't found them yet, the headstones could have worn away by now or they haven't been transcribed as yet.
    Hugh.

Hugh Thompson

Hi Jane, I think this will answer your questions.
    Hugh.
    From The National Library of australia.
    The Moreton Bay Courier, Saturday 3rd March 1855 page 2.
    H.M. Steamer Torch returned to this port on Sunday, from her search at the Percy Islands for the late Mr. Strange and his companions. Captain Chimmo ascertained that Mr. Strange had been murdered as was supposed, and that the bodies of himself and his companions, with the exception of that of Mr. Spurling, the mate, were carried out to sea in canoes and there sunk by the natives. The body of Mr. Spurling was found on the island, and carried to Port Curtis on board the Torch, and there interred.
    Several of the supposed murderers were secured, and are prisoners on board the Torch.

kermie62

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Gee View Post
    Hi Hugh
    Many thanks for the above as I said to Martin every little helps the articles regarding the trial seem to disappear from the newspapers without any mention of what came next!
    I hope the Sydney Morning Herald will help if not I think it will be paying for a researcher to check court records in Sydney. The natives were held at Darlinghurst goal but am unsure if records survive for this.
    Many Thanks
    Jane
    Here is the site for the NSW supreme court records online

https://www.law.mq.edu.au/scnsw/html/findcases.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Thompson View Post
    Hi Jane, I think this will answer your questions.
    Hugh.
    From The National Library of australia.
    The Moreton Bay Courier, Saturday 3rd March 1855 page 2.
    H.M. Steamer Torch returned to this port on Sunday, from her search at the Percy Islands for the late Mr. Strange and his companions. Captain Chimmo ascertained that Mr. Strange had been murdered as was supposed, and that the bodies of himself and his companions, with the exception of that of Mr. Spurling, the mate, were carried out to sea in canoes and there sunk by the natives. The body of Mr. Spurling was found on the island, and carried to Port Curtis on board the Torch, and there interred.
    Several of the supposed murderers were secured, and are prisoners on board the Torch.
    Hallo Hugh
    Thanks for the info I seem to be getting nearer and nearer to the end of this story brilliant info.
    Many Thanks
    Jane

Quote Originally Posted by kermie62 View Post
    Here is the site for the NSW supreme court records online

https://www.law.mq.edu.au/scnsw/html/findcases.htm
    Hi kermie
    Thanks for this info I fell over this site in the last 2 days purely by accident, my years arent on there yet but will be keeping an eye on this every few months.
    Jane

kermie62

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Gee View Post
    Hi kermie
    Thanks for this info I fell over this site in the last 2 days purely by accident, my years arent on there yet but will be keeping an eye on this every few months.
    Jane
    Its a very interesting site. The cases where husbands have sued other men for the loss of marital harmony by committing adultery with thier wives is very interesting. (Women of course in those days could not be held responsible for thier actions)

blue wren

Exclamation Moton Bay Cemeteries Listing

Hi Jane Gee

I came across this site recently and thought it might help you out

https://www.mortonbay.qld.gov.au/app/cemeteries/

He might just be listed - good luck!

Blue Wren

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast