tgrant

Default Grant/Ross families

Hello!

I am looking for any information that somebody may have on a Donald Grant who was born in Nigg. I obtained his army records, but unfortunately all they listed was his age and why he was discharged (lost sight in one eye completely and almost in the other).

I believe he was born between 1886 and 1887.

He married Margaret Ross I cannot find any marriage information on these two, or any birth information in either of them.

On Donald Grant's death cert it lists Donald Grant and Margaret Gair as his parents...again, I cannot find any information on a marriage of these two or any supporting information.

On Margaret Ross's death cert it lists David Ross and May Gair as her parents. And I can't find anything on a marriage for those two, nor her birth.

Both have listed "Ross-shire" as their place of birth on the Census reports I have found.

They had the following children:

May born abt 1835 in Petty
    Isabel born abt 1837 in Ardersier
    John (my ggg grandfather) born abt 1839 in Ardersier
    Catharine born abt 1843 in Ardersier
    Margaret born abt 1845 in Ardersier

For John Grant, I can find his birth (listing Donald and Margaret as his parents), and his first marriage to Elizabeth Skinner. I know he remarried, and obviously he passed away, but cannot find anything on either of those.

If any of these names are recognizable to anyone searching for the same, any info or hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Mary Young

You say about Donald Grant
    Quote Originally Posted by tgrant View Post
    I believe he was born between 1886 and 1887.
    but in the 1851 census he is a Chelsea Pensioner aged 60!! i.e. born c.1791.

You may never find his birth and marriage, many events went unrecorded in the Old Parish records even if the family adhered to the Established Church. And of course they may have been R.C.

Perhaps one or both was illegitimate, i.e. born a Gair - and even less likely to be registered!