Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    chris manning

Default Hubert James Long Manning

Hello all,

I have just found this forum and am looking for information about my father above He was born in 1916 in Watlington Norfolk. His mother was Violet Alice Manning, father unknown, but possibly a Mr Long.
    My parents were divorced when I was 3/4 years old and I have never seen a photo of him, or know what hppened to him.
    He is believed to have died around 1972/3 but I have never found a death certificate.
    Any thoughts or suggestions

Chris Manning

janbooth

Default Hubert MANNING

Chris,

Do you have his birth certificate? Hubert J L MANNING's birth was registered in the September qtr 1916 at Downham registration district, vol 4b page 504, mother's name shown as MANNING. It might just give you some extra information if you do not already have it. It might also be worth looking through the parish registers of where he was born to see if there is some extra clue in them.

Janet

It rather looks as if Violet Alice may have been an unmarried mother, though your father's birth certificate should tell you. Her birth is registered as Violet Alice MANNING June qtr 1897 Downham 4b/349. There is an entry on the same page for an Alice Violet MANNING, and given the 1901 census below I can only assume they were twins and given inverted identical Christian names.

1901 census:
    RG13; Piece: 1892; Folio: 6; Page: 3
    North Bridge, Watlington, Norfolk

James F MANNING 39 Horseman on Farm b Norfolk Gooderstone
    Elizabeth wife 38 b Norfolk Marsham
    James F son 13 general agricultural labourer b Norfolk Beechamwell
    Mabel E dau 12 b Norfolk Beechamwell
    Isaac son 11 b Norfolk Beechamwell
    Harry son 8 b Norfolk Swaffham
    Reginald W son 7 b Norfolk, Swaffham
    Alfred E son 5 b Norfolk St.Mary's
    Alice V dau 3 b Norfolk Watlington
    Violet A dau 3 b Norfolk Watlington
    Edith D dau 2 b Norfolk Watlington
    Rose dau 5mo b Norfolk Watlington
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Alan Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by chris manning View Post
    Hello all,
    He is believed to have died around 1972/3 but I have never found a death certificate.
    Hi Chris,

I'm sure I'm only double checking what you have already looked for thoroughly yourself.

But I agree, I looked for that death and couldn't find it (1970-1975).

So either the death wasn't when you think it was, or it's not in the name you are expecting. (I think it's pretty hard to leave a death unregisterd).

I kept an eye out for James as well as Hubert, but didn't see a likely looking one of those either.

Sorry, but I thought it was worth a quick look.

Alan

chris manning

Thanks for the replies so far.

Good to get a prompt response.
    Yes I have his birth certifcate and he wal illegitimate. She had an earlier daughter registered as Sybil Long, so the fact thst he was registered Hubert James Long Manning hints at a MR Long!
    I tried the parish records of Wiggenhall St Peter via a Private Message...no sign of Sybil but Hubert baptised there with no father's name given.
    She had a 3rd child Eric Manning before marrying a Mr Rose and having 8 more children, and 2 more husbands - a Mr Cramp and a Mr Smith.

Colourful lady my nan! though I never really knew her myself.

Sue's census data is right so Violet Alice came from a big family too, including a twin sister Alice Violet (Think they might not have been expecting 2 so ran out of names)

Death certificate is another big challenge. The only other Hubert Manning I have ever found was from Newcastle and died in a fire on the Isle of Man.

I found a death for a Herbert Manning in Feb 1973 who was born in Norfolk and that is as near as I have got.

Violet (Smith) and her 2nd husband Mr Cramp are both thought to be buried at Walpole St Peter, though the parish records were stolen from the church in the sixties. She died around 1967/68.

So I am a bit stuck

Chris

Alan Welsford

Although I couldn't find him for another fore-name either, it's worth bearing in mind that lots of people start using one of their alternate fore-names at some point in their life.

Taking 'Long' as your first name seems rather unlikely, but he could easily have switched to James at some point.

But you apper to have tried pretty hard, so I'm sure you probably have that avenue covered already.

Bad luck about the stolen parish registers.

It will be interesting if anyone else has some ideas.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by chris manning View Post
    Yes I have his birth certifcate and he wal illegitimate. She had an earlier daughter registered as Sybil Long, so the fact thst he was registered Hubert James Long Manning hints at a MR Long!
    I tried the 1908 and 1916 directories of Norfolk, but no LONG entries in Watlington, Wiggenhalls, Runcton, tottenhill, Shouldham or Wormegay.

There are a couple of old bors called James LONG who appear in the medal card index and Solders died in the Great War database who have conenctions with Norfolk - possibly worth looking into further if you ever try to locate a possible dad

Death certificate is another big challenge. The only other Hubert Manning I have ever found was from Newcastle and died in a fire on the Isle of Man.
    If you can get along to the Millennium Library, you might try searching the index of probate records on microfilm, it's often a fairly quick way of searching for deaths.

The GRO death index does have a death of a Herbert James MANNING in Dec 2000, his date of birth being shown as 19 Aug 1916
    (edit - you can probably forget this old bor, I've just checked the GRO index and he looks to have been born in Suffolk, which is where the deathw as registered)

Violet (Smith) and her 2nd husband Mr Cramp are both thought to be buried at Walpole St Peter, though the parish records were stolen from the church in the sixties. She died around 1967/68.
    I think it was in 1977 that a lot of Norfolk churchyards had their MIs indexed. 'tis a long time since I looked for them, but I have a memory that the Society of Genealogists in London has copies of them - don't know if the NRO does as well.

chris manning

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    It rather looks as if Violet Alice may have been an unmarried mother, though your father's birth certificate should tell you. Her birth is registered as Violet Alice MANNING June qtr 1897 Downham 4b/349. There is an entry on the same page for an Alice Violet MANNING, and given the 1901 census below I can only assume they were twins and given inverted identical Christian names.

1901 census:
    RG13; Piece: 1892; Folio: 6; Page: 3
    North Bridge, Watlington, Norfolk

James F MANNING 39 Horseman on Farm b Norfolk Gooderstone
    Elizabeth wife 38 b Norfolk Marsham
    James F son 13 general agricultural labourer b Norfolk Beechamwell
    Mabel E dau 12 b Norfolk Beechamwell
    Isaac son 11 b Norfolk Beechamwell
    Harry son 8 b Norfolk Swaffham
    Reginald W son 7 b Norfolk, Swaffham
    Alfred E son 5 b Norfolk St.Mary's
    Alice V dau 3 b Norfolk Watlington
    Violet A dau 3 b Norfolk Watlington
    Edith D dau 2 b Norfolk Watlington
    Rose dau 5mo b Norfolk Watlington
    Sue, this maybe a red herring but there was another family of Mannings in the Rougham area of Norflok around 1900. I have some documents relating to a Bertha Manning who was at school in Rougham in 1906. She may be included in the 1901 census. If you have access to this could you check please? If nothing else it will serve to eliminate any connection

Thanks

Chris

Geoffers

RG13/1874 f65 p4
    Rougham
    Edward MANNING, hd, mar, 46, shepherd on farm
    Harriet Manning, wf, mar, 42
    Bessie Manning, dau, unm, 16
    Ann Manning, dau, unm, 14
    Bertha S Manning, dau, 2

all born Rougham

chris manning

That must be the family. I can't find any link to my relatives though. I have Bertha's Norfolk County Council Rougham school attendance certificates for 1906 to 1912 so guess she went to same village shool up to age 13.
    If any one is related to her please get in touch

Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast