Starting to feel at home

Default ASCENSION ISLAND BIRTH -THOMAS TWINE

My gt grandmother whose maiden name was Harriett WAKELING (b.1841) accompanied her parents to The Ascension Islands in the early 1850s where her father served as a Royal Marine private.

She eventually returned to England and married my gt grandfather John COTTERALL in Woolwich in 1861. She gave birth to my maternal grandfather John COTTERELL (different spelling) in 1867 but stated her name as Harriet CATTERALL late TWINE formerly WAKELING.

Am I correct in assuming she was married to a TWINE? The problem is her marriage certificate to John COTTERALL states she is a spinster.

I can see her in the 1901 census living as a widow (now known as Harriet MARKALL) but living with her son Thomas Edward TWINE born 1856 in Ascension Island. I guess that she was only about 15 when she gave birth so she might not have actually married.

I have searched everywhere for details of Ascension Island births (and indeed marriages) but can find none. I would like to know if Harriett was ever married to a TWINE and if so who was he. If somebody can confirm that no records exist then I will stop and move on.

many thanks - Raymond M

Gerald Daw

Default Ascension Island Birth-Gerald Daw

I am also very interested in tracing any information of families living on the Ascension Islands in the 1800's. My Great Great Grandfather John Burgess was there with his wife Eliza and they had two girls born there, Emma in 1857 and Eliza in 1858. In the 1851 Census John was a marine corporal and in the 1861 he was a Master at Arms in the Royal Navy. I have tried to find any birth certificates or records with no luck. If anyone has any information about how to go about it I would be grateful.
    Gerald Daw

Mutley

Welcome to the forum,

take a look at this site
    www.
    archeion.talktalk.net/sthelena/familyhistory.htm

The forum there may be able to advise.

donald vallance

Default ASCENSION ISLAND BIRTHS - BURGESS

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Daw View Post
    I am also very interested in tracing any information of families living on the Ascension Islands in the 1800's. My Great Great Grandfather John Burgess was there with his wife Eliza and they had two girls born there, Emma in 1857 and Eliza in 1858. In the 1851 Census John was a marine corporal and in the 1861 he was a Master at Arms in the Royal Navy. I have tried to find any birth certificates or records with no luck. If anyone has any information about how to go about it I would be grateful.
    Gerald Daw
    I, too, have sought any birth records for Emma & Eliza, but so far without success. John Burgess was my greatgrandfather, my father's mother, Annie Burgess, being a younger sister of Emma and Eliza. She was born at Chatham in 1860 after the family returned from Ascension. Other siblings were William John born Brompton 1850, Matilda born Rochester 1862 and Alfred born 1865 Brompton. I have information covering several generations of the Burgess family and in particular of their (or their husband's)service in the Royal Marines. I would be very interested in comparing notes.
    Donald Vallance

georgianafb

Hi everyone, I've only just joined this group which I found as I browsed back to an old 'brick wall' on my tree!
    I also have ancestors born on Ascension Island, members of the Marines and links with Chatham.
    I will post specific queries later, the names being Tennant, Whiley and Parfitt.
    In the course of earlier research I did discover that for a long time Ascension Island was administered by the British Navy as if it were actually a ship. Therefore it is the Admiralty records that need to be accessed, but I have never had the time and financial resources to pursue this. It does feel like a project waiting to happen....

Mutley

Welcome to the forum georgianafb.
    Good luck with your search and your posts.

Starting to feel at home

Greetings Georgiana,

Yes, the Ascension Island was administered by the Royal Navy and the Headquarters Ship for the 1856 period I am researching was HMS Tortoise.

Both the ship's logs and muster books are held at The National Archives. For the 1856 period, as an example, the TNA references are:

ADM53/6519 Log HMS Tortoise December 1855 to December 1857

ADM38/5161 Muster book HMS Tortoise 1856

This information was kindly provided to me by an enquiry I made on 'worldnavalships' who also informed me that the Muster Book will list everyone onboard and sometimes with a description.

I am particularly looking for the circumstances of a death of a Chatham Royal Marine whose probate shows he died 'on board' HMS Tortoise in 1856 and who may be associated with my gt g/mother.

I have recently asked TNA for a printing cost - not appreciating at the time how many pages were involved - and it ran into £300 plus. A trip to TNA is now on the horizon and I hope the circumstances of the Marine's death are shown.

Ray