Thread: Rhymney Overman

claire1966

Post Rhymney Overman

Hello, I'm trying to trace some more information about my Gr Gr Gr Grandfather.

His name was John Griffiths and he was born in 1809 in Glamorgan. The 1871 census shows him living in Brithdir with his wife Mary and two children, George and Mary.

We have an obituary written for him as a competition text for Eisteddfod Troedrhiwfuwch on April 18th 1881. It's signed by Galarwr Galarus - a mournful mourner - which doesn't give us any clues!

It says that he was an overman in Tirphil & Craig Rhymni and had an extensive practical knowledge of underground pneumatics.

I'm not sure quite where to look having exhausted the census returns. Any help in finding out more about his life would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Claire

Not really sure what you are asking for but...

This website has lots of interesting stuff and they might be able to tell you where else to look

https://www.welshcoalmines.co.uk/

If you google the names of the pits you get lots too
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

jones099

Default Rhymney overman

Hi Claire, The following may be useful-
    Tirphil is between Rhymney and Bargoed, almost exactly half way. (Opp the larger town of New Tredegar)
    Troedrhiwfuwch (current spelling) is between Tirphil and Pontlottyn; probably 4 m north of Tirphil.
    An overman was the equivalent of a foreman but since there is no-one else on which to rely an overman had to be v knowledgable.
    Craig Rhymney colliery is not known to me but many were opened but closed after a short while. Hope this helps

claire1966

Thanks for the information.

I have had a look on the Welsh Coal Mines site and posted on their forum, so far no-one's been able to help.

My Mother was born in Tirphil and I've been there a few times. I have unearthed a story about a steel door by one of the pubs which could have been a temporary entrance, I'm not sure which pit it relates to though. I figure that John Griffiths has to be quite well respected to have had this special piece written for him.

Starting to feel at home

Default John Griffiths

Hi Claire
    For the past few years I have been gathering material, collecting photographs and researching everything and anything to do with Brithdir with the aim of writing its history. The steel door you refer to is the old entrance of the White Rose Colliery, New Tredegar which is adjacent to the 'Tredegar Arms' public house.

I have looked through the 1871 census but failed to find your ggg grandfather listed? If you would like to send me details [PM] that you have on John Griffiths, I will look through my files for any information.

regards
    Roy

Quote Originally Posted by claire1966 View Post
    Hello, I'm trying to trace some more information about my Gr Gr Gr Grandfather.

His name was John Griffiths and he was born in 1809 in Glamorgan. The 1871 census shows him living in Brithdir with his wife Mary and two children, George and Mary.

We have an obituary written for him as a competition text for Eisteddfod Troedrhiwfuwch on April 18th 1881. It's signed by Galarwr Galarus - a mournful mourner - which doesn't give us any clues!

It says that he was an overman in Tirphil & Craig Rhymni and had an extensive practical knowledge of underground pneumatics.

I'm not sure quite where to look having exhausted the census returns. Any help in finding out more about his life would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Claire

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Dannemois View Post
    Hi Claire
    For the past few years I have been gathering material, collecting photographs and researching everything and anything to do with Brithdir with the aim of writing its history. The steel door you refer to is the old entrance of the White Rose Colliery, New Tredegar which is adjacent to the 'Tredegar Arms' public house.

I have looked through the 1871 census but failed to find your ggg grandfather listed? If you would like to send me details [PM] that you have on John Griffiths, I will look through my files for any information.

regards
    Roy
    Claire
    As you have not been in touch, can I assume you have found details on John Griffiths and no longer require help?

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Dannemois View Post
    Claire
    As you have not been in touch, can I assume you have found details on John Griffiths and no longer require help?
    Although Claire has been on the forum, she might have missed your message if she did not have email notification enabled. She has both PM and email options available, so try contacting her that way.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    Although Claire has been on the forum, she might have missed your message if she did not have email notification enabled. She has both PM and email options available, so try contacting her that way.
    Hi Jan
    PM posted offering help, now awaiting response.
    Cheers, roy