Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    claire1966

Question Bunch of Grapes & Coach and Horses

Hello,

I wonder if anyone has any information about the Bunch of Grapes pub which used to be in Mariner Street, Swansea? I've found out from Kelly's Directory that it used to stand at no. 4 but that's since been turned into a carpark.

It was run by Rachel Lewis (nee Williams) who was my gr gr Aunt. Her husband was David Lewis and they had a son also called David. She went on to run the Bird in Hand in Waunarlwydd.

Also, on the other side of the family. My gr gr grandfather Robert Nelson Stratton used to run the Coach & Horses in North Cray Road, Bexley, Kent. The pub is still open but does anyone know where I can find out more about the history of it?

Many thanks,
    Claire

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by claire1966 View Post
    Also, on the other side of the family. My gr gr grandfather Robert Nelson Stratton used to run the Coach & Horses in North Cray Road, Bexley, Kent. The pub is still open but does anyone know where I can find out more about the history of it?

Many thanks,
    Claire
    Hello Claire,

If the pub is still open, you could contact them to find out if it's a managed or free house. If managed, obtain the brewery details and contact their archives. Many of the long-established breweries have wonderful archives, containing details of who ran what and when.

Good luck,

claire1966

Hello Jan,

Thanks for your advice, I'll get in touch with the pub and see what else I can find out.

Kind regards,
    Claire

Jan1954

Claire,

Mr P (ex pub trade) also says that if it's a free house you could always ask the landlord when it became one and the name of the brewery that owned it before.

Also, for free house, you could contact CAMRA (Campaign for Real Ale). They may be found at:

https://www.
    camra.org.uk/ They have a contact page.

Reputation beyond repute

For the Bexley pub, you may be interested to know that transcriptions of a dozen or so issues of Kelly's Directory (1870 to 1938) are online from the Bexley Local Studies & Archive Centre.
    https://www.bexley.gov.uk/localstudie...rectories.html

claire1966

Hello Peter & Jan,

Thank you both for the extra information. I've had a look at the Kelly's Directory and have managed to track Robert down. Also it's lead me to a lot of details about the Elms side of the family who also lived in Bexley. They ran the Royal Oak which is also known locally as Polly Cleanstairs as Mary Ann Elms was such a houseproud lady.

Next job is to get in touch with the present landlord at the Coach & Horses.

Many thanks again, your help is much appreciated.

Kind regards,
    Claire