Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    A fountain of knowledge

Default Civil War soldiers database & NARA files

Having done a spot of volunteering for the project, I'd like to point out that The National Park Service has a database of Civil War soldiers.

The information about each soldier is minimal, but the site also provides a history of the regiment, and a list of members of each regiment. If you find your man, you can order pension and/or military files from the National Archives. These can provide a wealth of information: copies of marriage and death certificates, lists of children, physical description, etc. I learned that my ancestor had his pay docked for 49 cartridges and a screwdriver!

Geoffers

[Having done a spot of volunteering for the project, I'd like to point out that The National Park Service has a database of Civil War soldiers at https://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/]

Excellent website, very quick - thanks for posting the URL.

[If you find your man, you can order pension and/or military files from the National Archives. These can provide a wealth of information: copies of marriage and death certificates, lists of children, physical description, etc. I learned that my ancestor had his pay docked for 49 cartridges and a screwdriver!]

The file I have includes a certificate of baptism from Buxton, Norfolk, where John Lowe (Private 'A' Co, 157th NYSV) was born. For anyone who hasn't applied for these documents though, be warned that it does take a l-o-n-g time to arrive.

Geoffers
    Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Geoffers

Default Online Records for New York State

For anyone researching Civil War Soldiers from New York State, there are a couple websites I have found useful.

My own interest is specifically in Madison County, for which a list is available
    https://www.morrisville.edu/library/l...ry/master.html
    recording: Name, age, where from, rank, unit, dates and cemetery

This has links to the 'NYS and the Civil War' website:
    https://library.morrisville.edu/local_history/sites/

Geoffers
    Charlbury, Oxfordshire

MichaelD

Default West Point Artillery Unit 1906-07

Hi Geoffers,

You seem to have your finger on the pulse for soldiers in New York State. My grand father was an Australian who joined the US Army and served in an artillery unit at West Point. I have photographs of him which have been dated around 1907:

I have forwarded his particulars to NARA but have come up negative. Can you advise of a URL which may identify what artillery unit was attached to West Point around 1906/7.

Regards:
    Last edited by Guest; 09-10-2007 at 11:59 AM.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelD
    My grand father was an Australian who joined the US Army and served in an artillery unit at West Point. I have photographs of him which have been dated around 1907.....Can you advise of a URL which may identify what artillery unit was attached to West Point around 1906/7. Regards:
    Sorry to say that my limited knowledge is not that specific. I'd suggest asking the West Point Museum to see of they have any record. They can be contacted via:
    https://www.usma.edu/Museum/

If I think of owt else, I'll let you know
    Good luck

Geoffers
    Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Stephen M. Kohler

Peggy,
    Thank you. From my standpoint your work was worth it. The National Park Service database of Civil War soldiers is outstanding. I've used it for research on many occassions. I've also been very successful finding information on ancestors serving in both armies. BTW, all those Clifford, Reed, Pride sailors and soldiers from New England and the Taylor, Sanders, Stack, Cato, and Lott soldiers from the Carolinas - they are mine. :0)

/R

Stephen
    Washington, DC

A fountain of knowledge

You're most welcome, Stephen.

I worked on only a tiny % of them, but did get batches from states on both sides. The contrasts were fascinating, and just looking at the reference cards would have told you who won the war. You'd go from working on a batch for the [warning - making these up to illustrate] 126th PA Volunteer Infantry, to doing a batch for Butler's Horse, combined with the remnants of Smith's Cavalry, and with units of the 2nd Alabama. . . .

Btw, I just finally found (through a contact from B-G Forums!) relatives who fought for the CSA. I was sure I'd have some on both sides of that war too.

Best,

Peggy

mjn1968

Default Pension Files

Pension files for Union Civil War Soldiers are available from the National ARchives and are a wonderful source. Those who have never seen a pension can view scans of sample documents.

There are also links to addional resources and finding aids.

Michael
    Last edited by Guest; 09-10-2007 at 12:01 PM.

Dragonfly

Interesting link Peggy, I have quickly used it to find some info, after using John Coliers "American Civil War Grave sites in Britain & Ireland".

Thanks.

ppod

Question Civil war soldiers

I have " lost" JOB STUCKEY in england between 1858 and 1871. I have done numerous searches on British sites to no avail. I have just come across this link by chance and entered a search and lo and behold up comes a Job Stuckey, Private, 52 Ilinois Infantry, Union Side, Company B, film M539 roll 88.

My knowledge of American history is sadly lacking so could anyone tell me if there is any chance that this could be my Job ( born 1829 Somerset, England) and if so how I go about finding out more.

Thank you.

Pat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast